Pinpointers And " Closing Range "

I've been debating whether to get a Fisher F-Pulse due to its greater sensitivity compared to my Garrett Carrot. But I wonder about its "closing range." What's that? Let me try to explain.

Today, I tried using my Garrett Carrot for a full hunt, but had it on maximum sensitivity. I appreciated its extended range as it made it easier to determine if my target was in my plug or hole. However, I realized that the greater sensitivity isn't as useful as I had hoped given the amount of trash where I hunt. So while my Fisher F2 could discriminate out trash, during my dig, my Garrett Carrot might detect a piece of trash before it could get the actual target I was digging for.

But I confirmed that the greater sensitivity of my Garrett Carrot isn't as useful as I had hoped because of the short "closing range" it had. What I'm referring to is its ability to change its beeping as the poinpointer gets closer to the target.

For instance, the pinpointer might detect a target 3 inches out. But when it's still 1 inch away, the steadily increasing beeps have stopped and now it's a solid tone. And it stays this solid tone no matter how much closer you get to the target. Ideally, the steadily increasing beeps (what I'm referring to as its "closing range") will continue until the pinpointer is touching the target.

I see tons of videos on a pinpointer's sensitivity. But none on its "closing range." I'm realizing that having a pinpointer with the ability to detect a coin at 4 inches, but only has a "closing range" of 2 inches may not be as useful as a pinpointer with the ability to detect a coin at 3 inches, but has a closing range of 2.75 inches (assuming this kind of pinpointer even exists). I also understand that the size of the target makes a big difference. With my ring, I may never get a solid beep from my pinpointer even when it touches my ring. Yet when next to a metal trash can, I get the solid beep when the pinpointer is 4+ inches way.

So my question is: what pinpointer(s) have the best closing ranges? For example, the Fisher F-Pulse has the best (or among the best) range/sensitivity of most major pinpointers on the market. But does it have a correspondingly long closing range, too?

37 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

So my question is: what pinpointer(s) have the best closing ranges?

I don't know which is best, but the White's TRX is very good with this feature.  Of course White's is out-of-business so that makes it harder (but not impossible) to get one.  Some of us hold out hope that Garrett will re-introduce the TRX now that they've bought White's rights, etc.  Those are the optimists among us, not the pessimists who claim Garrett would never 'compete' with their own Carrott by re-introducing the TRX.  Afterall, car companies never put out diffferent models to let the consumer choose....

• Like 1

Have you tried detuning the Garrett when going after a target?  As you approach a target and it is throwing off a strong signal in maximum sens (solid tone while still a distance away), press the button again and it will lower the sensitivity allowing you to better pinpoint the target.  The pointer will reset to max sens when you turn it off and back on (or whatever setting you set it to).  I believe you can de-tune it a few times, narrowing the detect field each time.

Not a perfect solutions, but a couple more options that may help.  

~Tim

• Like 5

The retune button doesn't narrow the search or is it a pain to use? I have the Nokta Pulse find and it does have a descent range and does increase proportionally as you get closer to the target so no mistake on narrowing down to the target. From what I have seen the F-Pulse is similar.

I believe the pulse pointers do lack sensitivity to small targets though so keep that in mind.

• Like 4

I often will detune my Garrett to zero in on a small target that is still in the hole. It works pretty well. I have not taken to my NM PulseDive nearly as well. It seems to have a noticeable delay in response and the volume thru the green headphones is overly loud. Detuning works with it as well. If the target is out of the hole I just pinpoint it with the detector and pass handfuls of dirt across the coil. This sorts any trash and is quicker for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

Have you tried detuning the Garrett when going after a target? 

I have, but it doesn't help much. If I try detuning it when I'm getting a solid tone (or close to it), the "closing range" is extremely limited...far less than it would be in a non-detuned mode. And the closer and closer I get, the less effective detuning become as the "closing range" becomes even more limited.

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I don't know which is best, but the White's TRX is very good with this feature.  Of course White's is out-of-business so that makes it harder (but not impossible) to get one.  Some of us hold out hope that Garrett will re-introduce the TRX now that they've bought White's rights, etc.  Those are the optimists among us, not the pessimists who claim Garrett would never 'compete' with their own Carrott by re-introducing the TRX.  Afterall, car companies never put out diffferent models to let the consumer choose....

I refuse to support White's as a company, but since they're out of business, I've considered buying a TRX. If it has good closing closing ranges (at least compared to the Carrot), I'd probably get it over the F-Pulse. Or maybe I'll get both, then compare, then sell one. But I'd rather just buy one and save the money.

21 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

I refuse to support White's as a company, but since they're out of business, I've considered buying a TRX. If it has good closing closing ranges (at least compared to the Carrot), I'd probably get it over the F-Pulse. Or maybe I'll get both, then compare, then sell one. But I'd rather just buy one and save the money.

I recall that recently there were several posts here from people looking for the TRX but not finding any. I was just looking at the Centreville Electronics website and they list them in stock for $199 with 2 year warranty -

https://www.centrevilleelectronics.net/newunits.htm

Cheers

• Like 2

The closing range of the TRX seems to be superior to the Carrot (starts at 3:30):

Now, the question is if the F-Pulse has better closing range or "ratcheting" than the TRX.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

I have, but it doesn't help much. If I try detuning it when I'm getting a solid tone (or close to it), the "closing range" is extremely limited...far less than it would be in a non-detuned mode. And the closer and closer I get, the less effective detuning become as the "closing range" becomes even more limited.

If you will back off of the target until the Carrot is just at a low response to retune, it will give you more "range". You can repeat if needed.

• The title was changed to Pinpointers And " Closing Range "