Pinpointers And " Closing Range "

7 minutes ago, JCR said:

If you will back off of the target until the Carrot is just at a low response to retune, it will give you more "range". You can repeat if needed.

Good to know, thanks.

• Like 1

General rule-of-thumb is that the higher the sensitivity, the less closing range you get. That's because close targets overload the front-end analog circuitry and once that happens you only get a solid beep.

The F-Pulse can ratchet down to about an inch on a coin before it becomes a solid beep. I played around with a few ways of extending this but they created some really weird effects. So it is what it is. The TRX can ratchet down all the way to a coin touching the tip so for what you want it would be the better choice. If you can find one.

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Pinpointers And " Closing Range "
1 hour ago, Geotech said:

General rule-of-thumb is that the higher the sensitivity, the less closing range you get. That's because close targets overload the front-end analog circuitry and once that happens you only get a solid beep.

The F-Pulse can ratchet down to about an inch on a coin before it becomes a solid beep. I played around with a few ways of extending this but they created some really weird effects. So it is what it is. The TRX can ratchet down all the way to a coin touching the tip so for what you want it would be the better choice. If you can find one.

I was wondering when you'd chime in, Geotech.

Thanks for your insightful advice!

I use a carrot most of the time and only have problems on really small gold or mineralized soil. The only issue I run into is large iron, On high sensitivity it will pinpoint to 15''or deeper. I have 2 carrots and both act differently. Low batteries will sometimes cause some problems. A rule of thumb that I use is to start higher and work my way down on sensitivity, And pay attention to what your detector is telling you first. This will give you some insight as to your target. Trying to disc out trash with a pointer is near impossible, Sometimes you will find multiple targets in your plug that make the pointer go in all directions. I have found 2 and 3 silvers in one hole, So don't depend on the pointer to give you the answer. Double check with the detector, even after you found one good target. All pointers have good and bad qualities, Running down the rabbit hole will cost you some money you don't need to spend (trust me). Unless your trying to find small gold or are hunting salt water, I would stay with the carrot, Its a good pointer.

• Like 1

Right now, if I do get another pinpointer, it will be the White's TRX or XP Mi-4 (it has some pretty good closing range, based on the brief clips I've seen on youtube).

I really hate the Mi-4's built-in battery, but from my research, it appears that the whole unit is supposed to be easily repaired by the end-user with readily available spare parts. Also, the battery seems to be relatively easy to acquire from 3rd parties.

52 minutes ago, dogodog said:

Low batteries will sometimes cause some problems.

I've noticed that extra voltage (about 1 volt extra) seems to "supercharge" the Carrot, with louder beeps and possibly greater sensitivity.

If the Deus LiPo batteries are anything to go by, the Mi-4 should give years of use on the internal battery - and with up to 30 hours life from a single charge.  So plenty to like about the Mi-4, and yes all parts are replaceable.

You do have to be careful using the TRX in a hole with multiple targets, as despite having "tip only" detection, there is second point of detection further up the TRX shaft that can possibly simultaneously pick up on other targets in the hole.

1 hour ago, Goldpick said:

here is second point of detection further up the TRX shaft that can possibly simultaneously pick up on other targets in the hole.

Yeah, I saw that in one video. I've noticed that pinpointers have "barbell" or "hourglass" shaped detection areas. The TRX seems to do a good job of putting as much space as possible b/w the two detection ranges such that it provides the "flashlight" effect. So the TRX's detection range outline looks more like a barbell while most others look more like an hourglass.

21 hours ago, JCR said:

If you will back off of the target until the Carrot is just at a low response to retune, it will give you more "range". You can repeat if needed.

I tried that this morning and did not notice any positive difference. The ratcheting or closing range remained poor despite puling back to detune.

2 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

I tried that this morning and did not notice any positive difference. The ratcheting or closing range remained poor despite puling back to detune.

Sorry to hear that did not help. Keep trying to skin that cat.

• Like 1