Define For Me "sunbaker"

That IS really unique. So glad you didn't yank it out. If you can maybe
leave it as it is. You rarely see finds like that. 

As far as I know a sunbaked is a nugget lying on the surface. I have found two like that but I have seen guys in Australia find some incredible ones.

Nice going!

• Like 1

Congratulations on your find of a very unique specimen.  If it were my find I think I would leave it as-is and not remove the nugget.   It may be worth more as a unique specimen.  Just food for thought.  In any case best wishes for continued success in the area.

• Like 1

Nice find on the gold, but a sun baker is a person who has been staked out on the ground by leather straps.

Then someone poured honey on him to attract the ants and birds. When the bones are left for about a year, then it is a sun baker.

As long as the rock was face up and the gold was always in the sun, then it is also a sun baker.

• Like 2

Always fun to find gold on the surface, better for a wow factor when you actually see it before the detector does, also lots of fun to find nuggets with the eyeball when you don't have a detector!

I'm no expert on the sun-baker definition, but I really enjoyed Geof_Junk's definition, response, and photos, amazing finds!

Interesting find GoldTree, keep swinging that coil. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 2

Several times I have found sunbakers. While swinging the coil I have spotted several nuggets lying on the surface before the coil reaches them. It's great to see them and then swing the coil over them and hear that lovely beep. Western Australia was the best place for finding sunbakers. 

• Like 2

You have it.  Either you see the gold before the detector sees it or you see the gold after the detector but you see it without digging.  

You can take a picture of a sunbaker and know it is gold.

• Like 5

Ah! It seems my lack of attention to detail brackets me into a: No sunbaker! As I did not see the gold before I disturbed it, but the specimen tells the story of presenting the opportunity to have.

...at the end of the day, it's gold! 😏

• Like 3