Best Detector For The Worst Case Scenario

14 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

Do you guys think the   Garrett Infinium can handle bad ground as good as the Minelab PI's  since it is less sensitive then most of them or does  Minelab do something special  with the ground balance ?Also is thick black sand the hottest ground  there is?

In theory a detector that is turned off handles ground really well. I'd think you want to also pick items up at depth. :smile: The Infinium handles ground well enough, but is barely more powerful than a decent VLF. In fact I doubt an Infinium could keep up with an Equinox in all but the absolute worst ground.

Minelab has at least a twenty year lead on pulse induction ground balancing technology over the competition, and they leave something like the Infinium completely in the dust when it comes to performance. The ATX was a big step up from the Infinium, and it still lags behind the GPX 5000, let alone something like a GPZ 7000.

Black sand is a generic mining term for the mineral magnetite. Thick magnetite will shut most machines down completely, but in theory maghemite is worse.

You ask a lot of basic questions that you might want to study up on here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gerry and Steve for really narrowing down the best options for gold detectors for myself and hopefully for many other prospectors.

Sounds like all a person needs nowadays is a select few detectors, mainly due the great technological advancements made from Minelab.

Wow! You can now have one multi frequency VLF detector that can handle relics, coins, shallow gold and disc. trash out fairly well- the Nox and a disc. PI that can handle deeper gold in moderate trash areas if using caution due to false signals- the GPX 5000 and in areas with very little trash one will most likely get by well using only one detector for all types of gold- the GPX 6000.😎

😁

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Tony66
      I'm starting up detecting again so I'm looking for opinions on a new machine. Money is an issue, but I know a descent machine will cost a little bit. So far I'm leaning towards a Fisher F22 or one of the Garret models. By all means, give me opinions on not just those mentioned, but any that would be good for someone not too far above beginner (have to learn everything again).
    • By Joe D.
      Hello all,
         I recently saw someone state that they didn't fully understand why they sometimes get the urge to buy a certain detector! And for one reason or another, fail to pull the trigger, or asking the question of why not!
         I, like many here, have questioned why i would want to purchase; and have purchased, what would "technically" be an "inferior" detector! If there is such a thing; they all find stuff!!
         I think the reason's are as numerous as one can imagine! So i won't bore everyone with what i think their reasons are! I can only speak for myself!
         Probably my number one driving factor are places like this forum, and other sources for research! Once you really start to get the "bug" for detecting, you begin to understand that it can go beyond just finding treasures! In fact, my reading, and quest for information, far exceeds my actual detecting hours! Of course, there are also "real life" reasons that prevent me from getting out there as often as i would like! But instead of that being a negative; and me being bitter about it! I funnel that energy into trying to soak up more knowledge to make my actual detecting hours more productive! Many here will understand this!
         So, for those thay are unclear what that has to do with buying older, or less advanced detectors, i will explain!
         Like many, i detected a few years when i was young! Stopped for a career, and family; among other reasons! And got back to it, a few years before my retirement five years ago! Not being involved for all those years, i went with a new detector; among others i researched at the time!
         Now fast forward to today! I'm much more knowledgeable than seven years ago; detecting and theory wise, but have barely scratched the surface! I own several detectors for various functions! Some overlapping each other a bit in operation! A few others are just for fun, or for something i feel i missed, in my absent years! Other's were too good a deal to pass up! And I could get a good return for, if i chose to!
         So, to summarize! In my opinion, the longer your in it, the wider range of technology, legends, varations, etc... you are likely to buy, and try, for no very practical reason! Cost not withstanding; as you advance in this hobby! Or as some jokingly refer to it as a "sickness ", or "obsession "! 🤩 👍👍
    • By GoldenHillbilly
      I'm looking to buy my first detector this year, specifically for nugget hunting. After lots of research I'm leaning towards the SDC 2300, but wanted to see if you have other suggestions based on my terrain/conditions. We don't have much public land for detecting because the national forests and state parks don't allow it. But I have access to a private 10 acre property with a creek flowing through it. There was allegedly an old gold mine that was buried decades ago in a neighbouring property, so hopefully it is a good place to work. The ground is covered in lots of organic matter sitting on top of soil heavy in granite and red clay. The creek contains a wide variety of minerals specimens and a good amount of magnetite. So it looks like I'll need to focus on PI machines. Here are my main questions.
      Will my time be better spent in the creek where the gravels and rocks are exposed, or should I also focus efforts in the higher areas covered in humus?
      Should I wait for the Fisher Impulse Gold to come out (and prove itself with users) before dropping a few grand on older technology?
      Does anyone recommend the Garret ATX or any other detector over the SDC 2300 for the area and conditions I'm dealing with?
    • By JesseAllen2
      Hello everyone!
      My name is Jesse, and I dig trash on the beaches of Santa Cruz, California with my White's TDI BeachHunter. Tent Stakes, Bottle caps, clad, you name it. Occasional gold (around an ounce in the last year), but wayyyyy too much garbage for the time spent out there. No, more like the right amount of garbage dug on a trashy beach with a PI with no discrimination settings LOL.
      I love this machine. It's stable, reliable, punches very deep, and was a great first "real" detector. The  weight sucks (though it can be hip mounted, but I found myself getting tangled in the wired in that configuration), and the shaft sucks too.
      I have saved some money, and am planning to shoot for the moon. I want the best beach detector out there, VLF, PI, or otherwise, that will help me dig 99% less garbage, and still punch deep and be fun to swing.
      So far, considering a CTX 3030 or Equinox 800. Big coil for either.
      Reading the forum for a few months, following developments, it seems that the metal detector market moves about as slowly as the "games in development" market. I may be outing myself as a Zoomer here but waiting for these new machines really brings me back to waiting for games to go from beta to 1.0. Anyways I'll be in possession of my next detector for the foreseeable future, and am having a hard time deciding what choice to make.
      Do I get the 9 year old, 50 lb dinosaur with *slightly better VDI depth on higher conductors that costs almost double what a proper Nox setup would cost (with accessories), or do I get the Nox? Which feels just past its prime, with direct replacements probably coming out soon?
      Do I wait for these detectors that exist only in the imagination? The new fisher PI, possible CTX replacement?
      I have a nice pile of coin after selling some finds and other detectors and would really like to make this purchase count, any input is appreciated!:)
      -TENT SPIKE DIGGER
    • By Dan(NM)
      I'm looking to get a dedicated machine just for hunting gold chains and earrings on some fresh water beach sites while the lake level is down drastically. I'm thinking maybe a Gold monster 1000 or perhaps a GB2.  I like the idea of having 2 coils with the Minelab and the Auto ground balance, any suggestions????
    • By Gerry in Idaho
      We all have different styles of gold nugget shooting and across this globe are so many varying terrains to chase nuggets.  Our skills and years at it vary and on this fine forum, it could just as easily be the eager beaver newer member who's grateful for their 1 and only nugget, as it could be a salty savvy veteran with a lifetime of Thankful gold finds.  And yet many of us have a certain detector that meant so much to our pursuit of heavy metal.  What model of gold detector are you most thankful for and why?
      For me, it's the Fisher Gold Bug-2 as it was the 1st gold detector we (detector & I) became 1.  It was the machine that kept gold coming in and eventually lead me to the Pulse Induction powers/depths beyond.  It's not my favorite to swing today (not even top 3), but I have to give credit when due and the GB-2 is the gold detector I am most thankful for.
      I look forward to hearing your Thankful gold detector comments.