Yet another spring like day today. Started out relatively warm, about 48. I decided to do some scouting on land I haven't visited as yet so I will know where to go in the future. In particular I was looking for another house that was in one of the fields back in 1917.

I think I found it. Found what looks like a drawer keyhole, and then an aluminum child's ring with no stone. It is very fragile and pretty mangled, but highly decorated.

I visited three separate areas, two yielded coins. I dug the 1967 quarter and a 1937 wheat penny. Went way out in the field near the river and found an 1867 Indian head. It was very difficult to find the date but I did. In the area that had no coins I found one small colonial button, it appears to have a backstamp but it is unreadable.

Not bad for just walking around at random, really coin shooting.

20210225_203317.jpg

• Like 5

1867 Indian Head penny is a semi-key.  For some reason (maybe because they minted so many during the Civil War -- those were hoarded during the war but probably recirculated in droves afterward) that from 1866 to 1872 the mintage was down and those 7 years fall into the semi-key category (IMO).  I always recommend caution in cleaning coins with numismatic value potential, and this qualifies.

You continue to rack up the nice finds in that permission.  Keep on rollin'!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I always recommend caution in cleaning coins with numismatic value potential, and this qualifies.

Poor coin has really bad Bronze Disease, cleaning is risky. I had to get out the microscope to get the date, and even then it's a maybe.

20210225_191504.jpg

• Like 2

Great save on the IH, great finds again.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By F350Platinum
      I had to go get the first of 2 flu vaccine shots this afternoon so I decided to go out and get some relic hunting in this morning. Went down a hill in back of my house that I think is a trash dump site dating back quite a bit.
      There was a tremendous amount of iron present, but the Equinox did what it does best - tell ya where the good stuff is. Ground balance was about 53, I was in my trusty Farm 2 mode with all metal on, F2/0. Sensitivity 22.
      Got me a small pile of trash, I was only hunting about a half acre overlooking the river.
      Found these old Mason jar seals, usually I find them broken.
      Got a Big ol' ax head, put a penny on it for size:
      And now the finds. Bit of back story, the first button I ever found with a metal detector was from a WW1 military jacket...
      Thought I found another ox knob but it doesn't have threads. 1983 dime, beautiful 1939 wheat penny, a no date wheat. Model T Ford key, back code 69. Could be related to the hubcap I dug in the landing, and the, uh, model T Ford I found in the woods! 😀  Marble, came up with one of the coins. I think it's the kind that is in a paint can to stir the paint. It seemed to have a metal shroud around it, might have been part of the the can. Lug nut with "R". Military device clip, probably for a medal or badge.
      Centerpiece is the find of the day. It took a while to get the stamp to come up, had to use a grill brush and steel wool.
      When you find a dog tag it is obligatory (to me anyway) to find out who it is and attempt to find the family. This is a post-WW1 dog tag for the Marine Corps. The date is the enlistment date.
      Theodore H. Coleman, thanks for your service. 🇺🇲
      It may be related not only to the device clip, but to the jacket button I found along the road back in August.
    • By CVISChris
      We headed out Saturday morning to the camp.  Wife has given up on the Vanquish because all she digs is square nails.  So we swapped detectors later in the day.   She then found an ax head and a big chisel.  I scored the dime and other stuff with the Equinox before the switch.   We bought a curio cabinet to house our growing collection of history so I will include a photo of it.    Hope everyone is doing well out there.  

• By F350Platinum
      Whooo, what a week. Back home from the beach, I didn't post my last hunt but I found .99 in change. 51 coins total, 3 rings, military button and some small stuff. No silvers. 😵 Got a 50 Centavos piece and 1 South African Rand, so I scored over $5. Oh, and an Anvil...
      My wife got food poisoning (she is ok now), my RV water heater element blew, and the outside faucet decided to crack and blow the knob out. Filled the underbelly with water. That lovely trifecta made us decide to head back a day early.
      I love beach hunting! It must be my luck but GB never went higher than 10, I only got EMI near a water tower with cell service on it. Clean, clean beach. You got what the Equinox said you did for the most part. Got many more beaches in my future!
      Today I hit the farm, decided to grid a farm house where scouting didn't turn up much. All I found in 4 hours was one 1994 dime and one button. I got a 36 on the Equinox, thought "yay!" And dug a huge crudely cast lead ingot. 😀 It's about 3" wide and is heavy. Yep, back on the farm.
      I guess we all have these days, you should see all the bottle caps and aluminum I dug to get this. Yikes!
      When I got home I had this waiting for me:
      It's a 1954 silver quarter cut to the Equinox coil shape. It came with a bead chain, I replaced it with a snake chain. Thus far I have only found two silver coins! Maybe it will be a voodoo talisman for the future. 😀 I thank everyone yet again for their advice and encouragement.
    • By kac
      Was getting my last digs in on some state property before they sell it off for housing development. The areas have been picked cleaned for quite a few years now so takes a bit of patients to squeeze anything out of them.  Yesterday ran my batteries dry on the Multi Kruzer with external lithium pack and half way down on internals only to find a pewter figuring. Top and back are gone but was interesting anyways.
      Today I didn't spend as much time out because it looked like it was going to rain and I was using my Tejon with the 10x12. Hit a hill that I had picked up a reale on few years back and got this nice 1887 IH.  The other thing is a piece of brass enameled on both sides, maybe a decorative tab to something (junk).
      Buddy and I went to another field where I snagged the degraded 1880 IH and this silver clip that looks like it went to a strap. Says Patented OCT 16 1888.
      Think it was on a carry strap to a tool of some sorts, maybe a gun holster? Did some research on items with patents granted at that date but the machines didn't show this part.

• By GB_Amateur
      I've been experiencing lower yields due to sites being detected, by me for sure and there are also signs by others previously.  SchoolofHardNox's success on a beach using the Minelab GPX 5000 reminded me to re-read Steve's treatise on using the (in his case original big box Pulsescan) TDI for coin detecting.
      I just a few days ago stumbled upon a promising site where extra depth could be key.  It's a schoolyard going back at least to 1955.  Unfortunately as is the case in many of my public sites, it has a history of backfilling.  From aerial photos I see than in the 50's it was grass/sod covered but in the early 60's they put down gravel.  The person who told me about the site (a person who walked up to talk when he saw me hunting a nearby park) said he was a student there 45-50 years ago and at that time it was (again) grass/sod.  I did a one hour survey hunt with the Minelab Equinox (11" coil) and encountered a couple inch thick gravel layer about 5" down.  I did find one Wheatie below the gravel, but 7" is getting deep for my detector + soil mineralization combination so if coins remain from the 50's (pre- gravel layering) then I expect I will do better with extra depth (and that may even be required).
      One thing I've found in my detecting of these older sites -- there are always nails present.  So even if my TDI/SPP can deliver in the coin category it's going to be signalling on a lot of nails.  One of the tricks Steve used was to set the conductivity switch to high conductors (low tones) but the TDI/SPP doesn't have that feature -- I will be hearing both high and low tones.  This is a dual disadvantage -- extra tones to have to mentally tune out but also extra threshold noise since both parts of the signal spectrum will be contributing to that as compared to only half when the conductivity-low switch selection is made (on all TDI's except the SPP version).
      Here are some specific concerns:
      1) Am I fooling myself thinking I can get extra depth with the TDI/SPP, particularly when it comes at the expense of a noisier threshold?
      2) Which coil(s) should I be using (choices I'm considering are 6"x8" Nugget Finder Sadie mono, 7"x14" NF mono, and 12" round White's 'Aussie' mono)?
      3) Should I flag the promising targets but double check with the Eqx 800 (and if so, should I use the 11" or 12"x15" coil on the 800)?  (Note, even if I choose this route I will likely at first dig, regardless of what the 800 says, just to get an idea of what is giving the signal and how deep the targets are.)
      Any other advice (from anyone) is appreciated.

• By rvpopeye
      Today's hunt was in an old field inland about 5 miles . Short session. Did a grid on a section with lots of moss under a tree. Swept it with the 15x12 ,marked targets and switched to 6" to pinpoint. (9v dead in the 35) Would have switched to the small one anyway , still aching from yesterday....... Half a rivet , an old nail and a 3" piece of barbed wire.