Does The Impulse AQ See All Gold As A Low Conductor?

51 minutes ago, cjc said:

Hi Tony

Epic ring BTW--I know you work hard at this and have done so for a very long time.  I will say this:  As these machines become more sophisticated, there's less need for a target ID circuit.  The precision that allows the AQ to run a low, stable uSc also makes for a very clean and informative signal.  This is what distinguishes Eric's circuits too--the GQA2 and the CS6Pi both tell you a ton about something in straight PI mode,  To a lesser extent, even the simpler Dual Field has a clean enough signal that IF you don't run it too high--it will be wide and caps and weak / linear on pins.  The AQ is all of these and more. To me, the ID modes are gravy--to be saved for "bed of spikes' type situations.  Of the submersible pulses available I would be hard pressed not to admit it's the deepest too--with the TDIBH  being second.  To my mind with all your PI experience--you are "just the guy" for this machine--given some time on it.  This is true of VLF's too.  With machines with sophisticated electronics like the Anfibio and the EQuinox your target testing and coil control target "challenges" are much more effective.  Point being that there's a lot more information in the All Metal tone of this machine than any simple PI.  cjc

Great comment. In my 15 minutes of fame on the AQ , I tried 3 modes with iron , a small wire and a 14k 2 gram diamond ring. The mode I could clearly pick out all 3 targets was the AM mode. More so than in tone or mute. Maybe because I'm so used to my DF.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, King-Of-Bling said:

Great comment. In my 15 minutes of fame on the AQ , I tried 3 modes with iron , a small wire and a 14k 2 gram diamond ring. The mode I could clearly pick out all 3 targets was the AM mode. More so than in tone or mute. Maybe because I'm so used to my DF.

I will need to take a couple of the targets I dug and a couple rings and go do some more ear training on the wet sand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjc said:

Hi Tony

Epic ring BTW--I know you work hard at this and have done so for a very long time.  I will say this:  As these machines become more sophisticated, there's less need for a target ID circuit.  The precision that allows the AQ to run a low, stable uSc also makes for a very clean and informative signal.  This is what distinguishes Eric's circuits too--the GQA2 and the CS6Pi both tell you a ton about something in straight PI mode,  To a lesser extent, even the simpler Dual Field has a clean enough signal that IF you don't run it too high--it will be wide and caps and weak / linear on pins.  The AQ is all of these and more. To me, the ID modes are gravy--to be saved for "bed of spikes' type situations.  Of the submersible pulses available I would be hard pressed not to admit it's the deepest too--with the TDIBH  being second.  To my mind with all your PI experience--you are "just the guy" for this machine--given some time on it.  This is true of VLF's too.  With machines with sophisticated electronics like the Anfibio and the EQuinox your target testing and coil control target "challenges" are much more effective.  Point being that there's a lot more information in the All Metal tone of this machine than any simple PI.  cjc

Hello Clive......well thank you for the compliment and maybe your post is a “lightbulb” moment for me. If Fisher needs an AQ user down under then hopefully they will read this thread. I do use the Excalibur for nearly all of my waterwork, which is generally rough salt water work........3 to 4 foot swells are the norm. My problem is with PIs in these conditions is not having the luxury of  working signals when simply setting the scoop is a challenge. I use my TDIBH for the exposed wetsand and for that it does very well. 
I would absolutely love to try an AQ but hunting in my water conditions wouldn’t do the machine justice. Having a measly 0.5 metre tidal range doesn’t help things either.

Thanks for adding to this post......keep well and HH

Tony

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 2:38 PM, Chase Goldman said:

Open Letter to Alexandre and Fisher - That  statement, as a relic hunter who frequents hot dirt sites, makes me salivate at the prospect of what you could do with the Impulse design for terrestrial artifact hunting (mostly mid-conductors) and gold prospecting.  A huge and fiercely dedicated contingent in the US, perhaps several times more detectorists than the super-hard-core water/beach gold jewelry detectorists in Europe and the US that the Impulse AQ is presently targeted for.  You will see  several hundred detectorists in the fields at a single event applying their relic hunting skills at the several annual group hunt events.  90 percent are swinging GPX and lesser PI detectors because VLF induction balance detectors are practically worthless in those conditions.  Same goes for terrestrial gold detectorists.  If you remove the salt cancel constraint (or simply make it a switchable feature) and submersion constraint (to lower unit cost) and focus solely on mineralization and existing Impulse analog precision disc/target reject breakpoints scheme, using the Impulse form factor with light weatherproofing, you and Fisher could make a killing, especially amongst the relic detectorists with aging, unreliable GPX's (just had to send mine into the shop for an expensive repair) who were basically abandoned by ML with the forthcoming release of the GPX 6000 which is devoid of any ferrous rejection feature and steep cost (not a knock, just truth likely resulting from a conscious business decision while maintaining the objective of simplified use in 3rd world gold fields, I don't like it but I get it).  The gold prospectors, however, are ecstatic at the new lightweight and user friendly package with the promise of high mineral and EMI environment performance.

Relic detectorists presently put up with the GPX cost, lack of weather proof integrity, battery cable claptrap, and weight because they have to, not because they want to, as it is the only detector that checks all the boxes, especially in regard to an excellent ferrous rejection scheme.  Now that ML has shown its hand with the 6000, please don't squander the brief window of opportunity you will have to fill this void with an Impulse variant that doesn't need to be waterproof at depth in salt water, but simply needs to work without a harness in the pouring rain and in the high magnetite fields of history across the US.  Relic detectorists, of modest means, have already demonstrated their willingness to pay the same GPX-level prices for a capable, ferrous-rejecting terrestrial Impulse that have been rightfully or wrongfully attributed to the AQ in this thread.  Even if you could somehow simply modify the AQ enable switching off salt compensation to accommodate relic hunting in magnetite soils that woukd be something.  Hoepwever, if the terrestrial prospecting or relic Impulse takes another 2 years to rear it's head, ML will probably figure out a way to add iron rejection to the GPX 6000 via firmware update or release a relic friendly variant in that time frame and that will be the end of that opportunity for you and Fisher.  Think about it...

I have taken your message into consideration, I will answer it a little later with a new subject :wink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2