Does The Impulse AQ See All Gold As A Low Conductor?

My question is in the description.

Does the AQ see all gold as low conductors. I have some big 18K and some mid sized 22K rings that give high numerical numbers on my Whites MX7 and from memory a high tone on my CZ21 (no longer have). I also recall a high tone on a pure gold nugget on a gold chain with the CZ21. I understand that golds conductivity diminishes as more alloys are added to the mix. 
Will these bigger and higher karat gold rings be “low conductors” ?

And finally......how does the AQ see platinum rings. I’d hate to miss any of the items described above.

Thanks for any replies or first hand experience.

4 hours ago, Tony said:

My question is in the description.

Does the AQ see all gold as low conductors. I have some big 18K and some mid sized 22K rings that give high numerical numbers on my Whites MX7 and from memory a high tone on my CZ21 (no longer have). I also recall a high tone on a pure gold nugget on a gold chain with the CZ21. I understand that golds conductivity diminishes as more alloys are added to the mix. 
Will these bigger and higher karat gold rings be “low conductors” ?

And finally......how does the AQ see platinum rings. I’d hate to miss any of the items described above.

Thanks for any replies or first hand experience.

Depends on what mode your in. All metal yes it is all the same. To a trained ear there is a suttle difference between the two. Gold is somewhat softer I guess is the best way to describe it for me. I am still learning myself. Tone mode the big fat pigs of high 18, 22 k come in as a iron grunt or high conductor. I can not say in mute as I have not tested it. Maybe Joe can chime in on the mute mode. I have issues with mute. I took a 5.5 gram white gold band and a piece of iron together and passed it past the coil in mute mode in a air test. The ring was muted. I did the exact same test a few mins. later with a mans 6 gram diamond ring and the ring pinged and was not muted. So something about the white gold vs yellow gold is going on in mute mode with iron present.

• Like 2

Platinum, palladium, rhodium, are very low conductors, they will always be accepted in tone mode.

In tone mode, you have always a limit

24K < 10 grs

22K < 15 grs

18K < 30 grs

It all depends on whether you overdo the rejection setting.

GOLD.thumb.jpg.27fe81a1997bfb4a6a64bf045ef8e99c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

As for talk of low conductors; it was an interesting day today with more learning. Was at a beach that has a lot of hot rocks that have given me fits with the Excal on other trips here. Took Carolina's suggested setting from one of his posts on cutting out some iron, ATS 8.5 and disc 3 and started from there. Found that disc setting did not make much difference on the rocks but with disc set at 3.5, got ATS to just short of 9 and no more hot rocks in tone or mute mode. Was running delay at 8.5. With these settings it hit hard on a larger brass snap swivel that came up still attached to the fishing line. Pulled the line up and a good sized lead sinker comes up. Lay the sinker on the sand and nothing in mute and it low tones in tone mode. Drop the ATS to just under 8.5 and the sinker is clear as can be in mute and high tone in tone mode. The same just under 9 ATS setting was also excluding pieces of crab traps in mute mode that I had dug a little earlier at lower ATS. Now I will need to go out with some gold samples and learn more about possible big gold excluding; although I don't have any big high K gold to test with.

No great targets today, but some interesting learning of the beast. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the AQ hunted this area when I was actually expecting it to be a difficult exercise. Now I need to do some more tests on known targets to see if any good ones are excluded hunting tone or mute. Based on the chart above, things should be good but I need to prove it to myself.

There were areas of the beach with lots of big iron that came through in mute mode. In all metal I could exclude them because they were so big and the sound on the edges had a different sharp, kind of harsh sound to them; not double blips on these big ones. I dug several to prove identification to myself. I'll be digging many fewer going forward.

Carolina might be familiar with these beaches already. Wife and I had dinner at Jessy's Taqueria, not far from where we were on the beach today. She got a lot of well tumbled glass and several shells. A good day.

Edited to add: Sensitivity was between 5 and 7 depending on interference level I believe was coming from the near by buildings.

• Like 1

Thank you all for these replies........I’m beginning to appreciate the scope of the AQ’s abilities. Sounds like you can hunt using it like a precision scalpel or just go in like a sledgehammer........this is a good thing 👍

I sure would hate to miss this though......52 grams solid white gold at 18K

33592321-0CC7-4611-9F5D-2298156A69D8.jpeg

39237952-5129-4607-A4E2-4C4B9030E87E.jpeg

• Like 5

I’d hate to meet the owner of that ring in a dark alley. Wrestled that ring from 5 feet of moving saltwater and took me close to an hour due to being pushed off target continuously by the swell and waves. I nearly gave up a number of times but my stubbornness got me the loot. That’s a sword/scimitar engraved into the ring.......looks like something Jack Sparrow would have lost 🏴‍☠️ 

I had no need for my weight belt after putting that thing in my finds pouch.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Alexander, all of us who have used a pulse know that this double-tone discrimination does not work when the target is at considerable depth.