The Realities Of Artifact Hunting Both Metal Detecting And Scuba Diving

That 4 AM (dark cold winter day) wakeup call and 6 hours roundtrip sure is a lot of investment, even when the site's not flooded out.  You gotta love what you're doing!  For most it's a costly (i.e. net loss of $) hobby.  But there's more to life than making a buck, as everyone here knows.  So, was the Wheatie at least a 1909-S VDB?  :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I used to put that much effort in flyfishing. Hats off!

• Like 1

calabash:  As always, your contributions to the md'ing community are priceless.  Thanx for yet another fun video !

I got certified to scuba dive back in the early 1990s.  Thinking that I could avail myself of "endless virgin frontiers" that "mere mortals can't reach".  But I was in for a rude awakening that it's NOT AT ALL like the Mel Fisher videos make it seem like.   And all the ocean beaches I attempted by me, I was quickly appraised that the underwater world is JUST AS SUSCEPTIBLE to sand-movement, as the inter-tidal zone (and even more so).  Thus:  You struggle and dig for 10 minutes (trying to stay-on-target with the moving current and noisy-bubbles, blah blah), only to discover your treasure:  A freshly buried foil drink pouch-pack thing, at a foot deep.  Woohoo !   And it's that exact moment, that you realize that there's NO WAY IN HECK you're going to be finding old coins.  Doh !  

In the same way that the inter-tidal zone is susceptible to sand movement (erosion for goodies, and sterile for incoming sand), SO TOO is the undersea world.    So in the same way that you can wander the upper beach and find nothing (d/t no erosion lately), then SO TOO can the underwater world be totally be a bust.   And unlike where .... on the upper beach ... you can scout 500 yards north and south to "read" the beach (determine where to swing), yet underwater, you're doing good to see 50 ft in any direction.  Doh !  

And fresh-water, in my area, was equally as silly:  We are in a chaparral terrain area (boom and bust cycles).  So you don't even need "scuba" to  reach the swim-zones.  Simply wait for the dry cycles (every few years) and simply walk out on dry land.  Doh !

I'm sure that there's some places where scuba is productive and wise.  But it certainly wasn't my area !  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Steve Herschbach changed the title to The Realities Of Artifact Hunting Both Metal Detecting And Scuba Diving

Thanks for sharing and nice finds.

Good luck and stay safe.

• Like 1

Scuba diving adds lots of extra equipment, safety concerns and awkwardness to metal detecting.  It also open up new avenues and thins out the competition.

Hats off to early mornings, gear in the truck and a full tank of gas.

Rich

• Like 1

C D, great, honest video. No doubt, there are more days like that, than the kind of days we all hope for, but with scuba, the work is times 10.

I got my certification also back in the day, and loved the diving aspect, but not so much with metal detecting. I was doing open water dives 35 to 85' or so and the strong currents are constantly pushing me around. It's just too much equipment and too exhausting effort for me. So my water detecting has been calmer waters, waist-deep surf and beach detecting.

Enjoyed your enthusiasm. Good luck and stay safe. Thanks for the video.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By F350Platinum
      Maybe the finds were light but the trash was heavy. I'm getting nervous that the farmers will show up and I'll be out of the fields for the rest of the year. I've never dug so many bullets, all either vintage non military, or brand new black powder, mostly in the 50 caliber range.
      I was hunting a roadside in this field near my house today. There was a horse racing track here long ago, the farmer "killed" the side of the road it was on, not sure whether he did it so I could check it out, but we did discuss it a while ago.
      This is only half the road looking back to the entrance, I'm pretty sure it's about a half mile long or more. This field is over 200 acres.
      Didn't find much:
      A fired musket ball, a ramrod tip, an odd shaped bullet that was interesting enough to keep, a 1912 wheat penny and an unidentifiable wheat, and my favorites of the day, most of a 1600s spectacle buckle and an 1800s 2 piece button. Looks like the button was decorated but bronze disease has taken its toll.
      Just before I wrapped up the farmers stopped by and gave me some great intel about this area. They figure I have another week or so before they plant. Great guys!
    • By F350Platinum
      Whooo, what a week. Back home from the beach, I didn't post my last hunt but I found .99 in change. 51 coins total, 3 rings, military button and some small stuff. No silvers. 😵 Got a 50 Centavos piece and 1 South African Rand, so I scored over $5. Oh, and an Anvil...
      My wife got food poisoning (she is ok now), my RV water heater element blew, and the outside faucet decided to crack and blow the knob out. Filled the underbelly with water. That lovely trifecta made us decide to head back a day early.
      I love beach hunting! It must be my luck but GB never went higher than 10, I only got EMI near a water tower with cell service on it. Clean, clean beach. You got what the Equinox said you did for the most part. Got many more beaches in my future!
      Today I hit the farm, decided to grid a farm house where scouting didn't turn up much. All I found in 4 hours was one 1994 dime and one button. I got a 36 on the Equinox, thought "yay!" And dug a huge crudely cast lead ingot. 😀 It's about 3" wide and is heavy. Yep, back on the farm.
      I guess we all have these days, you should see all the bottle caps and aluminum I dug to get this. Yikes!
      When I got home I had this waiting for me:
      It's a 1954 silver quarter cut to the Equinox coil shape. It came with a bead chain, I replaced it with a snake chain. Thus far I have only found two silver coins! Maybe it will be a voodoo talisman for the future. 😀 I thank everyone yet again for their advice and encouragement.
    • By Againstmywill
      Thanks for any help or direction you can give. The knife is wood on one side and celluloid (maybe) on the other.  
      The spike is from the same field as the other iron piece I found. I couldn't help but hear Gary D.'s voice say something about a decking spike off a Spanish galleon.😁
      I am now digging the deep iron in the area these came from. The other signals are either masked or most are gone due to being dug.
      Thanks again for your wisdom.

• By Steve Herschbach
      “As proven today, the finding of military ordnance from the Civil War is not uncommon in Maryland, and these devices pose the same threat as the day they were initially manufactured,” the fire marshal’s office said. People are encouraged to report such discoveries to the authorities and remember that even vintage artifacts can be deadly. In 2008, a man who collected Civil War relics died after a cannonball he was attempting to restore exploded.”
      https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bomb-squad-detonates-civil-war-cannonball-found-maryland-n1262276
    • By Glenn in CO
      That's $1,000,000 worth of good luck!
      Found this unusual token at a park this week. Can't find a lot of information on this token.

• By F350Platinum
      Finished up the farmhouse I started yesterday, I know I'm finished when there are nearly no signals in two+ passes. I will hack around a bit just to be certain.
      Today was padlock day, got two and a possible third. The brass lock marked Red Cross was found when I went to an area that was not fully covered on a hunch. It has a unique back, they call it a Maltese Cross but since this house was standing in the 1860s I think it might be something else. 🤔 Fairly common lock but none for sale recently. The other is a Slaymaker "Old Guard" with the shackle long since rusted away. Can't find any info on it.
      Giant piece of plumbing marked Wilson MFG Co. Looks like maybe a closet rod holder or maybe a sink trap?
      The rectangular object next to it appears to be part of a third lock, it is only half of it. Shield looking thing looks like it was attached to a rod, no clue. Interesting find is the large rimfire cartridge, looks to be over 40 caliber and has two opposing rim strikes. It is marked US.
      And last, 1935 wheat penny. Not an epic day but at least I found some stuff worth showing. It will be my last for a bit, farmers are putting down lime and fertilizer, and I am going to spend a few days getting my RV ready for a trip. Taking the Equinox (and my wife) to the shore! 😀