GPX Beach Hunt On My Favorite Beach

Hard work but you knew that coming in.  Spring is around the corner (Monday is March 1st!)  Thanks for taking the time to photograph and share.  As always I'm left with questions:  Why so few pulltabs?  What was the depth range on the coins?  And is the mineralization low on this beach?

You beach & water detectorists sure have to deal with a lot of sharp items.  Makes me wonder how many barefoot walkers/swimmers/etc. end up visiting the first aid station (or worse).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Hard work but you knew that coming in.  Spring is around the corner (Monday is March 1st!)  Thanks for taking the time to photograph and share.  As always I'm left with questions:  Why so few pulltabs?  What was the depth range on the coins?  And is the mineralization low on this beach?

You beach & water detectorists sure have to deal with a lot of sharp items.  Makes me wonder how many barefoot walkers/swimmers/etc. end up visiting the first aid station (or worse).

Ahhhh Pull tabs.... in this particular area the ocean takes care of those for me on a regular basis. The rough sea hits certain sections hard and rips sand away. Here about a foot was removed and along with it all the tabs, bottle caps , and other light trash. Once I moved to a new area, a few bottle caps and zincolns showed up. Coins ranged from about 10" to 14" on average. So this would mean that prior to the sea cleansing the sand away, the coins would have been buried from 22" to 26"  I can't hit them at that depth. Not even a peep. Mineralization can be high in places with black or purple sand, but in other places it is a low concentration of black sand and normal beach sand. The purple looking sand seems to affect the GPX a bit more than the black sand does.

1 hour ago, MSC said:

Nice finds schoolofhardNox glad the 5000 is working for you.

Thanks. It is my number one machine for finding deep silver & copper coins. Nickels and gold don't come in as solid as copper and silver do.

• Like 3

Outstanding day! Can't wait to try my hand at a beach, it's coming soon. I'm also going to do some river hunting if I can get a permit.

What sort of digger/scoop do you use?

• Like 1

Tremendous amount of digging! Delicate flower my butt! Good job!

And yeah, beachgoers would be well advised to wear beach shoes! Broken glass, syringes, rusty nails and screws, sharp aluminum, man-o-war jellyfish! No box jellyfish thankfully! Very hazardous!

F350, somewhere on the forum is a great deal of info on scoops! But I would only buy a good gauge of stainless steel! Depending how much beach and water hunting you do, is directly tied to how durable the scoop should be, and how much you are willing to spend!👍👍

• Like 2

Great job digging up all those coins and junk.

Better luck on the rings next time.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2021 at 9:09 PM, F350Platinum said:

Outstanding day! Can't wait to try my hand at a beach, it's coming soon. I'm also going to do some river hunting if I can get a permit.

What sort of digger/scoop do you use?

I use the Xtreme Surfmaster X3 Stainless Steel scoop with carbon fiber handle. l just bought it and it's very well made. I'm saving that for when I decide to detect in the water. For dry beach hunting I use a short pointed spade. It helps get through the packed rocks better and faster than I can do with a scoop. That is my main weapon of choice.

• Thanks 1