Large Coil But Where From Here ?

Most detectors that come out will start with a large coil and then work their way down in size .

We all know that the Tarsacci started out with a fair size coil and then went bigger. 

What I’m wondering if Tarsacci will ever see the need to making a smaller coil say something around a 9.5 X 5 are maybe a 5” round one?

Chuck 

Well , I'm not ready for another coil yet. And I've hunted the standard one hard since mid January. I can tell you this, the standard is so dead on I only pinpoint the deeper coins or one that escaped a hole.    My salt water times are over this year. But Dirt & lake hunting till next year.   Small coil shoot, I got one on old trusty.  But that's my situation.   If I'm still liking this machine in a couple of months I'll go big in time for next winter.  A guy gotta have an edge.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Most detectors that come out will start with a large coil and then work their way down in size .

We all know that the Tarsacci started out with a fair size coil and then went bigger. 

What I’m wondering if Tarsacci will ever see the need to making a smaller coil say something around a 9.5 X 5 are maybe a 5” round one?

Chuck 

Doubtful.  The existing stock coil is sized pretty well for both coverage and depth and with about 100 detectors out there and 4 guys, it hardly seems like a worthwhile investment for the company.

• Like 2

I can see if it’s not over a 100 Tarsacci in the field it wouldn’t be profitable but at the same time I’m surprised they making the 12” one. That the same time I can see why the high cost of the 12’ coil. I don’t see a high number of sales of it either.

Chuck 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I can see if it’s not over a 100 Tarsacci in the field it wouldn’t be profitable but at the same time I’m surprised they making the 12” one. That the same time I can see why the high cost of the 12’ coil. I don’t see a high number of sales of it either.

Chuck 

Exactly!  Chuck you are barking up two very niche detector trees here with the Tarsacci and AQ Impulse - they are designed for hard core niche relic or jewelry hunting under extreme conditions of mineralization and/or salt water environments.  Don't expect Dilek of Nokta responsiveness here or Minelab versatility or value.  IMO its really a waste of your time and dollars if you have an Equinox, Deus or similar you've got all you need, trust me (and I own a Tarsacci).  These detectors fill a very narrow gap and are very expensive as a result.  They are not magic wands and do some things very poorly compared to versatile detectors like the Nox or Nokta offerings, they are also notoriously finicky/unintuitive and need to be dialed in appropriately to achieve the desired results.  If you know their narrow strengths and need that capability, then you will pay for them, but their cost is driven mainly by their narrow appeal than their capability.

• Like 3

I very briefly discussed small coils with Dimitar, but I never pressed the issue at all, since it seems counter to the main design goals for the MDT. The MDT has been marketed mainly as a beach detector (that also has relic applications), and that user group may have less use for small coils than all others. Excepting the somewhat mythical micro jewelry hunters. :smile:

In this case a large coil was seen as more desirable by a few vocal users, but personally I doubt I’d pay an extra premium for it as an accessory coil. I do like the idea of being able to get it as the stock coil with a new MDT purchase, however, and many people may do that going forward. For my purposes, however, the current stock coil is just fine.

herschbach-tarsacci-mdt-8000-gold-nugget-found.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There are more than a 100 machines out there.  Ive got no. 28 and had mine well over a couple of years.   This coil design IMO is a better design for the beach hunter..... same length but more coverage.   As far as worth.... Chase you need to get wet buddy.   This thing is BETTER than a Nox in the salt and im betting close to an AQ in depth in disc.  Its not loosing that much depth in the water like other VLFs.   Id easily say only some of the newer PIs may get better depth..... but then you are still dealing with TID with those.   This is NOT a multi freq machine.... but anyone who hunts the beaches will tell you it will pay for its self in gold.   I paid my machine off in less than a couple of months.... i expect to do the same with this coil.   Popularity and sales drive what coils may come out later.  Tom D pushed hard for this coil.... i think its already got those of us wanting it on board.  Like was said .... any little edge.  This may even peak more UK hunters attention to this machine once testing starts.   I like my niche machine lol.  IF he changes to the new battery box design thats totally water proof and adds this coil i may well sell my Nox in the closet and get a second machine since i already have two standard coils.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dew - My comments were directed at one individual who may or may not realize this is indeed a small time operation with 4 employees.  It is a niche machine whether you want to admit it or not, and while anyone can spend their money as they see fit, was trying to provide advice to someone who I believe (and could be mistaken) doesn’t beach hunt every day and who doesn’t relic hunt frequently in hot dirt, like I do (the two types of niche users). This is totally consistent with what the Tarsacci faithful have been saying all along.  Admitting that the Tarsacci does nothing for you on land in sandy soil or other similar sites. In that case, it may not be the best investment for particular folks who have all their bases covered with more mainstream and versatile machines. I was trying to provide pragmatic perspective.  It had nothing to do with disrespecting the Tarsacci brand or whatever else you are thinking.

While I detect at beaches when I have the chance, I am not hard core in the water hunter and have no inclination to do so, just as I don’t expect to see you in Culpeper anytime soon.  As a satisfied Tarsacci owner I also don’t need to be lectured and told to get wet by another forum member.  Getting reactions from the Tarsacci fanclub crowd if they smell a whiff of criticism of the machine is the biggest turnoff about my Tarsacci experience so far, unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

As a satisfied Tarsacci owner I also don’t need to be lectured and told to get wet by another forum member.

Well if it's really hot out getting wet is not a bad thing!!!!  LOL......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chase i could have said that better for that i apologize.   I felt you were being a little under estimating the number sold.   What i ment about get wet ....is thats where the real depth of this machine is IMO.   Its pretty impressive to maintain nearly all its depth when VLFs tend to loose a good bit.   Ill try not to over sell the machine..... but i guess i am a fan.   Again..... i ment you no disrespect.... i truly appreciate your knowledge and skill.

• Like 3