Just The Artifacts

Another day out in the farm. I am grid searching about 100 acres, only going about 36 feet at a time per day laterally. Every day doing this I have dug interesting relics. Today was no exception, this stuff is as old as America, in some cases older. I wish I could regale everyone with fabulous coin finds and gold, but I find very few coins here. Some are cool though, and again very old. I'm hoping I can piece together some kind of picture as to what was going on here, it will take some historical research.

Usually button finds dominate the day. Today I found only one, a two-piece 1800s-ish round button with the shank still intact. It blasted in at a very loud and solid 23 on my Equinox. It is the third such button of it's kind I dug out here.

From the top left:

Shoe buckle, found in two different places. These are very rare to find in one piece on a farm. Some sort of pin with a hook on it, a spoon handle - weighs 7.1 grams (quite heavy for its size), and rings when dropped. It was a 25. No identifying marks. I don't think it's silver, but it is mildly magnetic. I test most everything with a really strong neodymium magnet.

The small object was a very strong and solid 15, but it really doesn't have any identifying characteristics. Next is a leaf shaped piece of metal that decorated something, again mildly magnetic. 2 buckle fragments, one may be silverplated.

Bottom row is a piece of non magnetic metal that is not lead but is very heavy, and what I believe is a modern black powder slug. All in all nothing really exciting, but it does make digging all the pull tabs, can slaw, shotgun shells, tacks and buckshot more tolerable. Unfortunately I can't notch anything out because I wouldn't find what I keep.

It's going to rain for the next 3 days so that's it for a bit! Ya get a break. 😀

20210226_182700.jpg

• Like 5

Good finds for sure, and I am confidant that you will be finding more.

With the nox are you using headphones or are you using the buuilt in speaker?

I ask this because where I have hunted I have never used any headphones and wonder if I need them.

Thanks Caleb

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Good finds for sure, and I am confidant that you will be finding more.

With the nox are you using headphones or are you using the buuilt in speaker?

I ask this because where I have hunted I have never used any headphones and wonder if I need them.

Thanks Caleb

I'm using these, sorry for the ridiculous link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07WGMT883?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I also have the TROND headphones that others have recommended, but these have much greater fidelity and are quite a bit louder. Chase uses a similar product with the Equinox.

Because of all the hunting that goes on around here, I am making a vain attempt to convince a bone conduction manufacturer or two to make apt-X Low Latency headphones so I can hear the environment as well.

Like you I used only the speaker for quite a while. No one here to annoy! I was told by a Civil War detectorist who owns a shop I visit that I should always use headphones, he said that I'm missing faint signals that could be great finds. More important, so many military and civilian aircraft fly low over my area that sometimes I can't even hear the headphones. Had a couple of Blackhawks flying around yesterday, and some person doing aerial acrobatics.

Just added 170+ more acres to the 300 or so I already have in a new permission, it has two more old house sites. This small one I've been hunting is beginning to dry up somewhat, I'll go back over it next year after they plow. They've been doing "no till" farming for years here, but I think that is going to change. I'm probably set for a long time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

9 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Need to clean these up some more but here are my finds from two trips to your detecting paradise, Bob.

20210226_082623.jpg

Did you notice the matching piece I found to the rightmost top row item? Once you clean it you will. Is the leftmost item a ring?

Paradise just got bigger yesterday! Two more potential house sites.

That octagonal button/cufflink is really fascinating. Think it is silver? I found this one early on. It's plated but pretty heavy.

20210227_075651.jpg

The hook pin thing is interesting.  What is on the other side?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, CVISChris said:

The hook pin thing is interesting.  What is on the other side?

Unfortunately not much. On further inspection it might have been silverplated, there is a little in the photo. It's definitely broken off something.

At first I thought it was a zipper pull but now I dunno. 

20210227_095243.jpg

Other than the odd pocket drop of relatively modern coins, this field is nearly all early to mid 1700s to late 1800s. On the other side of the road nearly everything is 1900s. The road leads to a steamboat landing which shut down early to mid 1900s, as evidenced by the finds there. The fact that there are a few finds dating back to the mid to late 1600s indicates that it has always been an active spot! Just have to find out why. This area was settled very early, yet hasn't changed much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Did you notice the matching piece I found to the rightmost top row item?

I see that.  To your other question.  No rings, just random brass pieces.

4 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

That octagonal button/cufflink is really fascinating. Think it is silver?

No, definitely just brass.

• Like 2