Just The Artifacts

On 2/27/2021 at 2:22 PM, CVISChris said:

The hook pin thing is interesting.  What is on the other side?

Hi, the little brass item is a harness/belt stud or decoration. They are essentially small shiny brass shapes sometimes silver plated, sometimes tin or white metal plated, to decorate up a leather belt and would normally have 2 hooked tangs on the back to fix in leather a bit like a staple. One of the tangs is broken on yours - not uncommon and sometimes part of the reason they fell off. Typically they range in date from the 1600's but are difficult to pin down exactly in time as like all things like that they were used over a long period. Shapes vary, but they are good sign of age and people - as are all the other bits you are finding.

Can you do a close up of the flowery/leafy/scroll curvy type thing? This looks like something that has a name, but a close up would be good to see to be sure. Stu 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

Can you do a close up of the flowery/leafy/scroll curvy type thing? This looks like something that has a name, but a close up would be good to see to be sure. Stu 

Hi Stu,

Thank you!

I have a couple of other studs like that, smaller and with two hooks. Really good info! This place was settled in the mid 1600s so anything is possible.

Below are the photos you requested, front and back of the item.

Really appreciate your input.

20210301_183123.jpg

20210301_183140.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, so that has all the basic appearances of a piece of 'sword belt hanging furniture'. The best pictures of these are in reference books that are all in copyright still, but there are a few similar to be found doing an internet search. The main feature is a swirly leafy shape, small fixing holes near the extremities forming a triangle, and an uplift to the part that has snapped off that would have been a flattened hook - in essence your picture is upside down to how it would have been worn performing its function.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/358176976593006761/

This was the best online picture I could find quickly, but for the items you are finding  - all of which are something - I would recommend a book such as 'Identifying Metal Artefacts: No1' by Brian Read.

At the same time period in England not everybody would have worn a dagger or sword so finding a piece like this is a vague clue to social class - and always a good sign for higher value (coinage etc.) losses. It may have been different in the early colonies  - I guess everybody would have worn a sword?

One thing is for sure over here, for the type and size of small silver coins in use and tiny artefacts, and parts of artefacts  - headphones needed for sure. Difficult to explain exactly how or why, it isn't about volume, but the sound just comes to life more. Stu 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

'Identifying Metal Artefacts: No1' by Brian Read

Hey Stu,

Thanks much again! I may have found a complete hanger, photo attached. It's in the bottom right.

That book looks great, if it wasn't US $50+ It would be on order this very minute along with the equally expensive buckle book.

The early settlers here would indeed have had many weapons, not only for obtaining sustenance, but to defend themselves against invaders and unfortunately the indigenous population. My back yard hosted such an invasion in 1812, it was a very small skirmish. 😀

There isn't much from the Civil War or the Revolution other than civilian artifacts. This area was left alone for the most part due to the huge farms and possibly sympathy to the UK. It hasn't changed much.

I have found a lot of early swirly bits here!

Going out today, I've been stuck inside for 3 due to rain. It's 35F outside and windy, but there isn't much time left to hunt before they plant the fields.

20210302_082232.jpg

• Like 3