Gold Rush Relics From California Part 3.

Wow, that is a great place you're hunting! Incredible finds. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Holy WOW! Amazing continued finds Chris.  Just amazing!  

• Like 1

I'm curious as to what that Bust Dime weighs.  Do you have a scale which reads to 2 decimal places on the gram setting?  Even 1 decimal place would be enlightening.  Good eye on the diameter as those were 18.5 mm compared to 17.9 mm of the later issues (including the Seated and all the way up to today).

The Seated Dime is in excellent condition (showing little wear).  Does it have a mintmark (underneath the wreath on the reverse side)?  Only Philadelphia (no mint mark) and New Orleans ('O' mint mark) produced dimes that year.  Philly minted about 12 times as many and that one is quite 'common' (relatively speaking) but even New Orleans minted 1 million, which was fairly typical for dime production at that time.  Still, the condition adds value.  Nice!  (Excellent relics, again, also.)

GB, 18.67 mm and 2.2 grams on my scale.  Thanks for the info.  No mint mark on any of the coins I have found at this site. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CVISChris said:

GB, 18.67 mm and 2.2 grams on my scale.

Thanks.  The reason I asked is to get an idea of how much loss from wear has occurred.  Fresh from the mint (uncirculated) it weighed 2.70 g., so there is about, maybe a bit under 20% loss for this extremely worn coin.

So why is that relevant?  Most silver coin finds have bullion monetary value only (as compared to numismatic value).  Bullion value applies to the amount of precious metal present (90% * 2.2 g. of silver in this case).  Now for typical wear the loss is considerably less, so calculating value based upon a forumula like 0.7*spot*face where 'face' is the face value in $ (e.g. dime face is 0.1) is going to be reasonable/ballpark.

I realize as a trophy/display piece many detectorists don't care about the monetary value.

9 hours ago, CVISChris said:

GB, 18.67 mm and 2.2 grams on my scale.  Thanks for the info.  No mint mark on any of the coins I have found at this site. 

Curious, what did that Bust TID, and how deep?

Yup.  The off-center shield is the tell-tale bust dime.  Congratz !   Not easy to find Bust coins in CA

Your buckle is rare and valuable.   Here you go, thanx to Max Bell's great book:  Here's the description of your buckle @ the 6th picture down :

005.jpg

004.jpg

• Like 4