How Often Are You Changing Settings On The Impulse?

2 hours ago, vive equinox said:

Can owners of the limited tell us to what extent you intervene on the settings?

it looks like most of it is all metal. so for example in a standard hunt do you often touch the sensitivity, the ats and delay? when? and why ?

I'm still learning things about the AQ. Most of the time, it is pretty much set it and go hunt in all metal. Some sensitivity adjustment may be called for if there is some chatter from some beach front buildings; turn down sensitivity to quiet it then turn it back up when farther away from that interference source.  If there is a lot of iron in an area, I might go to tones or mute and adjust ATS up some to exclude more of it. But it is mostly hunting all metal and set and go. I have not yet found issues that I've read some have where a maximum delay needed to be used. Much more set and go than I expected, and I like that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am still learning my machine. I can't wait to hear how others do it. 

I usually start at the defaults except for the sensitivity. Lately, I have it at 5 (one past the default). If there is no falsing, I'll leave it at that. In most cases I do not change sensitivity. I'll start with a delay of 8 or 10 and adjust the ATS to quiet the machine down. If get falsing upon my swings so I slow my swing down and/or adjust the ATS to 9 and/or adjust the delay to 10 or better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, CCadrin said:

I am still learning my machine. I can't wait to hear how others do it. 

I usually start at the defaults except for the sensitivity. Lately, I have it at 5 (one past the default). If there is no falsing, I'll leave it at that. In most cases I do not change sensitivity. I'll start with a delay of 8 or 10 and adjust the ATS to quiet the machine down. If get falsing upon my swings so I slow my swing down and/or adjust the ATS to 9 and/or adjust the delay to 10 or better.

It is a really correct and reasonable setting :smile:

• Like 4

My settings to start in all metal are similar to Joes but not exact. My water conditions are a bit saltier since I am on the low end of the Bay. My delay is 10 ATS 6 sensitivity 5 volume 10 threshold 4>5. I have no where near the Bay hours as Joe so I’m still learning. As I get deeper waist to chest if it gets chatty, with the coil resting on the ground I cycle back to the on mode and go thru all the frequencies very slowly to find the quietest frequency. Then I return the delay back to 10. If this does not satisfy me then I back the ATS down to around 4 and try adjusting my swing speed. In the water chest deep I only advance my sensitivity to 5 and no more. My next step is to raise the delay to 11. At the risk of giving something away I do not have a delay of 12 on my machine. After 11 I have the last delay of 11.5. Alexandre tells us 11.5 is actually 15u’S. So if I must, I go to 15. Raising the delay seems to quiet the machine the most for me. The most prevalent “noise” is the end of the swing. There is a phenomenon (maybe Alexandre knows the name but it escapes me right now), that when you swing the coil and it cuts thru the magnetic field of the earth, it excites the coil and when you stop abruptly you will get a false. I’m not sure if that is what is happening or not. Nevertheless a slower sweep helps and you learn to ignore it at some point.

• Like 5

As for the end of sweep "noise" ... I don't try to get rid of it since I can reduce it with better coil control, I know what it is and I can reposition to get that part of the bottom covered so another sweep or two of the coil ha that part in the middle of a sweep. I'm listening for a short rise and fall of the threshold that is different than the end of sweep "noise" that has a different sound profile.

• Like 3