Nox 15 Inch Coil On A Gold Monster

Eden

Hi all ! and cheers for the add !

I have had the Nox for nearly 3 years now and have finally bitten the bullet and grabbed a Monster 😁 also this morning Eyyyyhaaa !

Now for the stupid first question (I've had a read and could not find anything in a post on it 😔)

Has anyone here tried a Nox 15 inch coil on the Gold Monster.
The Nox can run at 40mHz and the Monster runs 45mHz so pretty close there and I have read (not confirmed) elsewhere that the coils have proprietry chips in them to stop interchangeability.

They both fit each others coils though even though some said the plugs would not but I have not been game to turn on the monster with the Nox's 15 inch coil plugged in.
(Big chicken 🤣)
The thought of the Monster with a 15 inch coil is so tempting
So back to the big ask.
Has anyone actually tried ?

(Ps love my 2 nox 800s)

FB_IMG_1614507472940.jpg

FB_IMG_1614507463752.jpg

Don't know if it will work, probably not.  I DO know the GM coil is not compatible with the Equinox.  In fact, experienced gold hunters who own both rigs tend to give the nod to the Equinox over the GM and feel the GM stock coil would be the ideal vlf setup if it was compatible.   

That's why, if you are itching to use the 15" coil for gold, just use the 15" on the Equinox in Gold mode and it will be superior to what you are proposing. 

However, in general, when you are hunting with a vlf for natural gold, you generally want to go in the opposite direction (i.e., use a smaller coil) to ensure sensitivity for micro targets.  If I was hunting for gold with the Equinox I would go with the 11"  (which is basically the optimal coil for the Equinox) or the 6" at this point.  That is despite the fact that the Nox 15" coil does pretty well hitting on small targets for a coil of its size.   The soon-to-be released 10x5 coil from Coiltek appears to be your best bet if you want sensitivity, ground coverage, and the ability to also swing in constrained areas such as around scrub and large rocks.  HTH

GM coil on Equinox discussed here and here.

GM vs. Equinox on Gold here and here and here.

Thread on the new Coiltek coils here and here

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

That's why, if you are itching to use the 15" coil for gold, just use the 15" on the Equinox in Gold mode and it will be superior to what you are proposing.

Gerry McMullen has done just that -- hunted naturally occurring gold with the Equinox and its 15 in coil -- successfully.

• Thanks 1

Yep spoke with someone that services and mods and sells all the good stuff and they are not compatible so not even gonna try.

Cheers all !

(The grass is greener on the under side 😉)

12 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Don't know if it will work, probably not.  I DO know the GM coil is not compatible with the Equinox.  In fact, experienced gold hunters who own both rigs tend to give the nod to the Equinox over the GM and feel the GM stock coil would be the ideal vlf setup if it was compatible.   

However, in general, when you are hunting with a vlf for natural gold, you generally want to go in the opposite direction (i.e., use a smaller coil) to ensure sensitivity for micro targets.  If I was hunting for gold with the Equinox I would go with the 11"  (which is basically the optimal coil for the Equinox) or the 6" at this point.  That is despite the fact that the Nox 15" coil does pretty well hitting on small targets for a coil of its size.   The soon-to-be released 10x5 coil from Coiltek appears to be your best bet if you want sensitivity, ground coverage, and the ability to also swing in constrained areas such as around scrub and large rocks.  HTH

GM coil on Equinox discussed here and here.

GM vs. Equinox on Gold here and here and here.

Thread on the new Coiltek coils here and here