The Weight Of This Gold Had Us Stumped, We Were Sure A 2+ Oz'er

• The title was changed to The Weight Of This Gold Had Us Stumped, We Were Sure A 2+ Oz'er

What it is valued as a gold specimen, sure out weighs (no pun attended) what the specimen weighs in at.

Most of our wire and leaf gold specimens are nice size but lack in weight. But I'll take what they are valued at over the weight any day.

That specimen is beauty for sure!

• Like 3

Our eyes are easily fooled! That is why its hard to guess the weight of nuggets. As you say on the video, it is like foil - big in 2 dimensions, but thin in the third dimension. I have a piece of gold from Northern Nevada that is a flat folded piece like that, but mine is about 1/10th the size - a bit over 3 grams. Just like that one, you'd expect it to weigh more based on how it looks.
Even on pieces with good size in 3 dimensions, gold weight can be tough to guess. I have a spot in California which has produced a good number of 1/4 to 1/2 ounce nuggets in chunky pieces, but look like they should weigh about twice as much based on what you would guess by looking at them. On close inspection with magnification there are little bits of quartz and iron oxides shot throughout the piece, which is why they weigh less than you would expect - they are not truly solid gold, even though they look like it in your hand.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

What it is valued as a gold specimen, sure out weighs (no pun attended) what the specimen weighs in at.

That specimen is beauty for sure!

He's has quite a few $10K offers a couple in $15K range and one bumped it up to $20K.  I still feel his best bet is to wait until Covid is over and have it at a couple bigger shows to get some publicity.  Then head for the Auction with a Minimum of $25K.

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 1

4 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

He's has quite a few $10K offers a couple in $15K range and one bumped it up to $20K.  I still feel his best bet is to wait until Covid is over and have it at a couple bigger shows to get some publicity.  Then head for the Auction with a Minimum of $25K.

Definitely agree on that strategy, watch out for those seller fees if you go the auction route.

Any serious gold specimen collector would be looking to add that specimen to their collection.

In the mean time just sit back and enjoy it and the memories of finding it!👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

Definitely agree on that strategy, watch out for those seller fees if you go the auction route.

Any serious gold specimen collector would be looking to add that specimen to their collection.

In the mean time just sit back and enjoy it and the memories of finding it!👍

From your experience is there a better auction site you like and or used with no issues.  Also just as important, was there any you though was a waist of time/effort.

This will be the 1st time we have sold through such assistance, but was told on high end gold art, this usually brings the top dollar?