2 hours ago, King-Of-Bling said:

We got 1 thing in common : we both don't know what the other is talking about. All these people with those machines in knee deep water , never get them wet. I go knee deep often. Mine gets wet from waves crashing , wind blowing salt mist , etc. Plenty of times on the bottom slope I'm hit by waves. Totally drenched. I don't have to drop mine in the water for it to get wet. I can't believe you don't care about waterproofing on the beaches you guys hunt.

I'm sure it has probably happened but I've never heard of anyone having their detector damaged by water at our beaches. Obviously, we're not going to put our detectors in a situation where they could get wet. We don't wade in the surf when the waves are big. It's just common sense. But like I was saying, there really isn't much advantage to going in the water except maybe to cool off in the summer or detect a tidepool cut.

On 2/26/2021 at 9:49 PM, Badger-NH said:

That's it!  A simple adapter to connect to the AQ would solve the whole problem.  The adapter would have the same connection as the waterproof headphones but it would allow you to plug any non-waterproof headphones or bluetooth transmitter into it.  It should come with the AQ. 

Garrett makes one for the AT series 

at.jpg

Different beach's require different measures. I know of several who have lost machines to the ocean surf in Maryland, I just seen one on the Jersey shore FB page, a Minelab 540? Now where I hunt in the bay the chances are less likely. I know I have hunted up in Connecticut and the tides are extreme..dropping 8 or more feet so I know what Badger is talking about, one can hunt with a land machine if they can handle the salt. Schoolofhardnox on here hunts with a GPX 5000?... in the NE. 

Every spot is different.

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Impulse AQ Alternate Headphones

I've had my GPX hit with those sneaky little waves that come out of nowhere. 😣 It's happened at least a half a dozen times. But one day it will fry that machine and I will be very sad. It depends on your machine. The GPX is fairly rugged. I've dropped it, hunted in light, steady rain, had those waves hit it, and so far it's survived. You do have to use contact cleaner on the knobs though. I once froze one solid. Couldn't turn the knob to change timings. Sprayed it down with the electronics contact cleaner and it was good as new.  I have hunted a beach like Badger is describing. It is extremely flat when the tide goes out. There is no wave action to speak of. It just drains out slowly and you just start seeing a lot of flat land. It does retain water, so if you lay your machine down, the bottom of it would get wet. Things sink very deep at that beach. Next time I have a real low tide, I will venture out to the deepest part I can.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I've had my GPX hit with those sneaky little waves that come out of nowhere. 😣 It's happened at least a half a dozen times. But one day it will fry that machine and I will be very sad. 

I never took risks like that with my non-waterproof machines.  I would freak out if even a few drops got on my Explorer housing. I used to put a zip-loc bag over it if there was any mist in the air.  Heck, I don't even let my Equinox get wet.  I have to remind myself that a little rain is okay.  Those protective habits are still with me.  99% of the time I had no concerns about using the Explorer on the wet sand and/or occasional shallow water.

• Like 2

Several years ago I was calf deep detecting a little cut in front of a sand bar in Myrtle Beach with my favorite CZ6a. Got surprised by a wave that drenched the detector for a second or less. It went nuts with a very ugly continuous squealing. I turned it off, took the batteries out and let it sit. Tried it again a week later and it was fine. CZ6A is water resistant. I've had it in the rain doing tot lots and never had an issue, but the wave must have found a way to get the insides wet. Since then, it has not ventured even ankle deep near the surf.

The Explorers are sealed up pretty well for water resistance but accidents can happen. I try to calculate any risks before taking them and stay constantly focused on my surroundings.  That has kept me out of trouble pretty well.

Growing up at the beach and being a surfer, I learned to always keep an eye on what the waves are doing. Whenever we get big surf, it's fun to watch people walk into the water to get a selfie only to get knocked down because they didn't know a wave was coming. Sometimes it can be dangerous and people have been swept out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

I never took risks like that with my non-waterproof machines.  I would freak out if even a few drops got on my Explorer housing. I used to put a zip-loc bag over it if there was any mist in the air.  Heck, I don't even let my Equinox get wet.  I have to remind myself that a little rain is okay.  Those protective habits are still with me.  99% of the time I had no concerns about using the Explorer on the wet sand and/or occasional shallow water.

My non waterproof machines handled the rain better than the waterproof ones 😄 My DFX was used a lot in the rain and once about 1/2 mile in the woods when it started to down pour. My GPX and E trac did great too. It was my CTX that would leak just looking at the waves 🙄

19 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

The Explorers are sealed up pretty well for water resistance but accidents can happen. I try to calculate any risks before taking them and stay constantly focused on my surroundings.  That has kept me out of trouble pretty well.

Growing up at the beach and being a surfer, I learned to always keep an eye on what the waves are doing. Whenever we get big surf, it's fun to watch people walk into the water to get a selfie only to get knocked down because they didn't know a wave was coming. Sometimes it can be dangerous and people have been swept out.

One of the best machine to use at the beach for sure, several around here Boxed there Explorers up to make them waterproof...... I do remember I was using mine down at the ocean when I had a oldtimer walk up to me with his, his was in a plastic bag, he told me he could get over in the wetsand and just in the water but if I did the same make sure not to tilt the coil up in the air ..for the water would drain down the shaft into the main control head. Mine is still alive because of him.

• Like 1

Joe, in his wisdom put both connectors on his extended run time cell.  Found that Grey Ghosts really enhance the audio.

cjc