Fe Fe2 Mask Gold With Iron?

bklein

18 hours ago, midalake said:

Well these "gotcha" type moments, everything is important. Your coil speed relative to recovery and even how close you are to the targets. A few inches away??

I can tell you the odds of finding that set-up on the beach as you laid it down there is slim to none. 

Also difficult to hear really the audio response. 

On my “channel” I have several test videos posted for that day, both 11” and 15” coils, ctx3030/EQ600, iron - or just coins in different arrangements. I may have missed posting a few.   One video though is the ring, nail, and quarter - and I take the nail away to make the point.  I did vary the sweep speed and change to different recovery speeds. I did raise and lower the coil in some videos. Just gets worse the higher you go obviously- but single coin had better depth than groups.   I don’t get professional on the videos as I don’t really care to spend a lot of time on it.  These are all tests you can do yourself your lawn...  Road noise was absolutely terrible - a guy just spent hundreds making his huge ass truck the noisiest in the neighborhood and had to drive all over with his family, showing it off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Having said all that, I don't really get Iron Bias (in a practical sense), period.   I was out yesterday, got an iffy (part ferrous, part non-ferrous) signal at F2=0 (in Park 1, Recovery Speed=4, custom 5 tones).  I switched to F2=9 and still got a combination of ferrous and non-ferrous response.  I dug down 8"-9" and recovered a very rusted 8-d common (modern circular cross-section) nail.

That has been my experience as well.

I think I read somewhere that Iron Bias is supposed to have the biggest effect on thin flat iron like bottle caps and rusty cans.  The tones don't change much if at all on thicker iron and elongated ferrous targets like nails when adjusting from 0 to 9.

I've tested it on thin flat iron targets that give mixed tones and it has helped to give it a more accurate ID (low tone).

Iron Bias is there for those who need it.  For me, at the sites I hunt, I haven't needed it, so it stays at 0.

I imagine there probably are places with tons of rusty can lids, pieces of cans, roofing/siding, and/or bottle caps that might be unhuntable without Iron Bias.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

I think I read somewhere that Iron Bias is supposed to have the biggest effect on thin flat iron like bottle caps and rusty cans.

Rusty bottle caps is the one undesirable target (make that only target) that I've confirmed a repeatable difference in responses between F2=0 and F2=9.  In my current sites I don't have many sheet metal scaps and only a few rusty steel cans (and pieces) so I've compiled no evidence either way.  But I've been to those kinds of sites so I will definitely experiment with IB when those situations present themselves.  (More data needed.)

BTW, I'm a 'doubting Thomas' to the extreme.  I'm also anti-authoritarian in the sense that just because an authority says something doesn't make it 100% true/fact.  However I am more likely to accept claims by some than others, so in that sense I'm not purely anti-authoritarian.  (And if you want to see the opposite extreme -- giving 100% acceptance to those who you consider authorities -- you can end up with the chaos we've been seeing in the world lately, thanks in large part, but by no means exclusively to, social media.)

There are some things I've read here from knowledgable posters which in the end haven't helped me, and sometimes are even contrary to my experiences.  However, that could well be because either I'm not executing properly or because I don't have the skill set to appreciate those recommendations.  Initially I was bothered by that.  Now I just give things a try (usually on multiple occasions after some thought) and if they don't deliver what I expect I move on.  I haven't given up on IB improving my detecting experiences.  At the same time, I haven't seen any advantage so far from my by far toughest trash target -- nails.  I will continue to investigate next time I'm out with the Equinox.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I don't get what you don't get.  😏  Are you surprised that the iron ring responded differently than the stainless nut? 

I certainly get what you wrote! Apples and oranges... SMH on the stainless. It's very high quality stuff, it was on a John Deere combine. Going to return all the parts to the farmer 😎

Thanks as always, GB. 

• Like 2