Gold Rush Relics And Coins From California Part 4

12 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

If you do, you're going to make several of us CA guys sick.   We're going to come plant a GPS device on your vehicle.   (Pay no attention to the suspicious person you saw in your driveway last night ! 😝 )

Tom, you say that like you and the rest of the CA hunters aren't already sick...haha.  Not to mention the rest of us non-CA guys.   

I think we may need to start talking guys off the ledge if Chris comes back with Part 5... (by the way... based on the progression... no doubt you will Chris!!).  I will ask Steve H. to add a "support hotline" forum on DP!  😆

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Tom, you say that like you and the rest of the CA hunters aren't already sick...haha.  Not to mention the rest of us non-CA guys.  

You're right !   If Chris finds one more, there might be an "unfortunate accident" there at his house, eh ?    We wouldn't want any accidents to happen, NOW WOULD WE ?  😲

38 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

I think we may need to start talking guys off the ledge if Chris comes back with Part 5... (by the way... based on the progression... no doubt you will Chris!!).  I will ask Steve H. to add a "support hotline" forum on DP!  😆

Oh part 5, 6 and 7 coming up.. 😎 

Btw I have a cat, his name is Harry as in Dirty Harry the attack cat.  Tom would be no match for Harry.  Tiftaaft hold on to your shorts I fully intend on bringing you part 5.  Here is a pic of a non metal but most likely Chinese artifact from a different location. Just for fun 

7D1EF300-54D2-4375-87C5-73ED3FC5FD32.jpeg

2678A5A4-983C-42C4-BBD8-761606E7EF17.jpeg

• Like 5

Great finds! Inspiring to say the least. It sounds like you detect similar areas to myself. I’m new to the coin and relic game but have been nugget hunting for years. I just started a short while ago using my equinox 800 in some of the old camps and towns I have found over the years while patch hunting for gold.

You mentioned in an earlier post you are searching around an old chimney stack. I have a site I just started detecting with 3 chimney stacks spread apart over about 1000 feet. So far I have a few buckles and buttons, straight razors, many musket balls and one seated dime from 1872. The dime was right next to the chimney stack and everything else has been spread out but mostly right where I figure the cabin or tents sat. Being new to this kind of detecting do you experienced coin hunters suggest sticking near the chimneys or do the coins tend to be any place particular?

Thank you again for sharing your finds. 

1 hour ago, ChuckScrivener said:

.... Being new to this kind of detecting do you experienced coin hunters suggest sticking near the chimneys or do the coins tend to be any place particular? ....

I would fan out in all directions (from the ground-zero of a visible chimney), with my machine set to allow me to hear nails.  Ie.: as a low tone that I'm going to elect to pass, but at least I can get a feel for the target spread.   And as long as I'm still hearing iron (albeit rejected), that tells me I'm still in the sphere of human habitation/influence.   And as long as there's still iron, then there can be conductive targets too.

Perhaps the chimney indicates a lone structure, of a single individual(s).  Or perhaps it meant other were closeby (tent-city), yet didn't happen to have chimneys on their hobbles.  All you can do is wander around.  If the sounds go "sterile" (no iron grunts), then you'll know you've wandered outside the sphere of human habitation/influence.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChuckScrivener said:

Great finds! Inspiring to say the least. It sounds like you detect similar areas to myself. I’m new to the coin and relic game but have been nugget hunting for years. I just started a short while ago using my equinox 800 in some of the old camps and towns I have found over the years while patch hunting for gold.

You mentioned in an earlier post you are searching around an old chimney stack. I have a site I just started detecting with 3 chimney stacks spread apart over about 1000 feet. So far I have a few buckles and buttons, straight razors, many musket balls and one seated dime from 1872. The dime was right next to the chimney stack and everything else has been spread out but mostly right where I figure the cabin or tents sat. Being new to this kind of detecting do you experienced coin hunters suggest sticking near the chimneys or do the coins tend to be any place particular?

Thank you again for sharing your finds. 

Hi Chuck!  I have been a nugget hunter for years and have done well and mostly had a lot of fun.  I also now use the Equinox 800.   I just go in circles around the chimney and work my way out.   Then I just spaz out and start going all over the place but, I find stuff.  Seriously just hit it.   You will find the goods. The coins I have found have been spread out.  I found two recently where there was no iron.  They were pretty far away from the chimney.   

• Like 1

I appreciate the informed responses greatly, Tom and Chris. As a nugget hunter I have found that confidence might be the greatest asset in being successful and that’s precisely what I don’t have in detecting around these coin/relic sites. Hearing your advice helps me endure the empty streaks a little longer until I get my own confidence. When I find something good I’ll be sure to share. 

38 minutes ago, Elbert said:

Part 5 after this weekend with more gold ?

No gold yet El.   I have found some period stuff I will post for part 5.