Thoughts On Accurate Pinpointing

Great topic, and great response Lunk! I have found with the gpz, that non ferrous targets pinpoint easy. Edge of coil technique. But iron particles ( not big iron) tends to move around like your trying to push two magnets together in reverse polarity. You just can’t get that easy bullseye. It’s not a perfect theory but it might get you on the right track.

• Like 1

Agreed and some of those techniques work well or not so hot depending also on the size of the target. Edge on methods work well if the target is good sized, and can be almost required if the target is huge. They do not work well if the target is really small. Small targets may not sound off on edge until the are almost touching the edge of the coil. 
With a DD I typically step back and move forward rather than moving the coil backwards towards my feet but the net result is exactly the same.
Fast target pinpointing and recovery is more of an advanced technique and exact methods depend on size of the target, size of the coil, configuration of the coil and likely approximate depth to the target. But it is something well worth the effort.

• Like 1

After I get my target out of the hole I pinpoint it with my coil. I always feel good when I get the target in my first scoop. I use this game to improve my pinpointing and recovery skills. The goal is to dig more targets and find more nuggets. Swing slowly, recover efficiently. 

• Like 6

Quote....Agreed and some of those techniques work well or not so hot depending also on the size of the target. Edge on methods work well if the target is good sized, and can be almost required if the target is huge. They do not work well if the target is really small. Small targets may not sound off on edge until the are almost touching the edge of the coil. 
With a DD I typically step back and move forward rather than moving the coil backwards towards my feet but the net result is exactly the same.
Fast target pinpointing and recovery is more of an advanced technique and exact methods depend on size of the target, size of the coil, configuration of the coil and likely approximate depth to the target. But it is something well worth the effort.

If using a DD and the signal is small switching to mono and using the edge of the coil will help however if the signal drops expect it to be deeper than expected. On very deep nuggets of respectable size and quiet sound I set the detector on manual and approach from back where there is no sound and slowly bring the coil in listening for the start and end of the signal and mark the centre then do the same it at 90° or some convenient angle. Where they cross is target. Note the hole should be more a narrow trench than a circle to enable you to get the overburden out quickly. An added point is the uses of a pick. Most people must work in an office that I see using a pick on the gold fields. The force hitting to ground is combination of the weight and the speed of the pick head. If you watch a carpenter using a hammer you will see him/her use their wrist to double the speed of the hammer head. I find I can do more damage to the ground using a smaller handle pick with one hand than most people using both hands with a long handle pick. I hope that this is on topic as it reduces time wasted getting the gold.      

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Thoughts On Accurate Pinpointing

Pinpointing isn't really an extra step for most targets for me. As part of the detecting/target analysis process, I am already sweeping across every target a few times and then I nose the coil into it when I'm checking for repeatability.By the time I know if it's a diggable target, I already have an idea where the target is at in the ground. Dig 8-10" out to see if the target moves, then stick the edge of the coil in the hole.

It's more of a "feel", based on correlating the hot spots of the coil to the signal intensity as I determine if it's diggable or not. No 90 degree walking or specific pinpointing required. You just need to be familiar with what part of the coil is the hottest and subconsciously you will know where the target is based on signal strength as you move your coil in 2D to check for target repeatability.

I use a bigger 17" coil pretty often, and I can't recall ever missing a target with it. The only time I do a real, seperate pinpointing process is when it's a shallow target I can get with the coil edge from the onset so I know where to bootscrape.

• Like 3

I have a trick that I have not seen anyone else do.

I use triangulation to guage depth.

This dosent work on very faint targets but it is a valuable weapon in the arsenal. After I locate the target and pinpont it with multiple sweeps I then lift the coil and tilt it at about 15deg and sweep it on the 15deg plane and visualise where I get the srongest target. Then repeat multiple times from different angles. I then draw the lines in my head and where the lines intersect will give me an accurate target depth and location.

20210302_203959.thumb.jpg.438da33bd9a8d30fdf52ec13bc357fd5.jpg

Then I can dig like a mad man and not damage the nugget.

• Like 7