Just An Observation... Mom And Pop Fisher Dealers Seem To Be Going Away

I was thinking about maybe picking up another Fisher F19 but when I called the Mom and Pop dealer guy I like to do business with, and whom I had bought my last one from,  he told me he no longer sold Fisher.   Ok... well....I'll go to the next dealer I like.  Went to his website...no Fisher.  Looked up a third guy but it looks like he is gone.

Notice the major online dealers still carry Fisher but the few guys I like to do business with don't.  Probably goes along with the inability I have had in even buying Fisher from some dealers who only wanted to sell me XP or Minelab, even though I expressly asked about and was interested in a Fisher model.  

HH
Mike

• The title was changed to Just An Observation... Mom And Pop Fisher Dealers Seem To Be Going Away

1 hour ago, Mike_Hillis said:

I was thinking about maybe picking up another Fisher F19 but when I called the Mom and Pop dealer guy I like to do business with, and whom I had bought my last one from,  he told me he no longer sold Fisher.

Sounds like he didn't tell you why he stopped dealing Fisher detectors....  That might provide some insight.  Gerry still lists some models.  Maybe he'll see this and respond, or you could PM him.

Maybe there is a minimum sales requirement for dealers? Technetics does direct sales now, not sure how long they have been doing that. Downside of direct sales is customer exposure.

It’s all about money.

Mom and pop maybe sale 20 in a year.

They sale several hundred to Academy are Bass pro Shop.

Do I need  to say more !

Chuck 

On 3/2/2021 at 5:14 AM, Ridge Runner said:

It’s all about money.

Mom and pop maybe sale 20 in a year.

They sale several hundred to Academy are Bass pro Shop.

Do I need  to say more !

Chuck 

But how many buy at a Bass Pro shop, and then haven't got a clue where to go, how to use it, and don't have the right tools to recover targets. Machine goes in the cupboard. Mom and pop sell 20 a year, but those people are successful, buy other accessories, a second detector, and become long term customers. Also, are people buying from the big chain stores because it is convenient or they have a flash sale... people that normally would have bought from the mom and pop store?? I don't know, but something to think about  

On 3/1/2021 at 7:35 AM, Mike_Hillis said:

I was thinking about maybe picking up another Fisher F19 but when I called the Mom and Pop dealer guy I like to do business with, and whom I had bought my last one from,  he told me he no longer sold Fisher.   Ok... well....I'll go to the next dealer I like.  Went to his website...no Fisher.  Looked up a third guy but it looks like he is gone.

Notice the major online dealers still carry Fisher but the few guys I like to do business with don't.  Probably goes along with the inability I have had in even buying Fisher from some dealers who only wanted to sell me XP or Minelab, even though I expressly asked about and was interested in a Fisher model.  

HH
Mike

Hi Mike, that seems to be a drag.  Speaking about Mom... Remember Mama's Minerals down in the valley near the Museum? They don't sell anymore either.  Just my two cents,  TC-AZ

Hi Tony.

Yep..they moved to a location at the corner of San Mateo and Manual.  I used to go in there and handle and play with all the Whites detectors.    They just moved again couple of years ago to a new location but I forget where. 

HH
Mike

Its possible places like Bass Pro may contract to get first shot at machines.  If i were in the business my priority would be to try and get them in places like Bass Pro, Amazon.... heck even Wal-mart.  It take inventory to do it you have to have a lot more machines out there on display thou.  ML has made it difficult on dealers who sell or want to sell other machines.  When the Nox was coming out.... then got out it seemed to stop all sells even used.

I have no “inside info” except that it costs them way less to sell pallet loads of detectors to one place than a few boxes of them to another. I suspect that for most brands the “usual drill” in the “old days” was to “Sell into” lots of detectors. Make the distributors and dealers buy lots of stock in order to get the best margin on eventual “sell through” - retail sale to end users.

That is going away as mom and pop dealers go away. The remaining dealers are online one way or another and other than the “big box” outlets - I suspect that they are on “direct ship” - they get an order and immediately place their order with the manufacturer who ships to the customer.