9 minutes ago, tvr said:

As ugly as it was before the clean up I would have bet it was silver.

Good recovery on that one!

The outside of the ring was blackish due to the mud. The inside had a gold tone but the pic above didn't really show it.

• Like 1

Give us a couple of close-ups of the ring! Look's old! You said no 14k mark, but how about a maker's mark? A jeweler can confirm! Great job on a faint signal!👍👍

24 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

Give us a couple of close-ups of the ring! Look's old! You said no 14k mark, but how about a maker's mark? A jeweler can confirm! Great job on a faint signal!👍👍

I have an older Iphone so my closeups are only so-so. There are two dots which could be a makers mark but I never seen one with two dots. 

I did a 10k, 14k, and 18k acid test. The '18' ate it up right away. I went for a shower and the '10' and '14' was still intact when I came out.

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3779.jpg

IMG_3780.jpg

• Thanks 1

Nice find on the ring. I’ll bet OBN has seen his share of tarnished gold rings. I found a pretty nice white 10k a few years ago after a storm caused a sizable cut. It had a lot of green tarnish on it and I wasn’t too sure about it at the beach, but it felt heavy and had 3 stones. Sure enough at home it cleaned up nicely and was gold with diamonds. 

46 minutes ago, okara gold said:

Nice find on the ring. I’ll bet OBN has seen his share of tarnished gold rings. I found a pretty nice white 10k a few years ago after a storm caused a sizable cut. It had a lot of green tarnish on it and I wasn’t too sure about it at the beach, but it felt heavy and had 3 stones. Sure enough at home it cleaned up nicely and was gold with diamonds. 

Occasionally, we'll get a ring that is so delicate that if you drop it on a hard surface they will break into multiple pieces. This one tested as a 14k so I was a little surprised that there was so much tarnish and erosion of the filler metal. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CCadrin said:

Occasionally, we'll get a ring that is so delicate that if you drop it on a hard surface they will break into multiple pieces. This one tested as a 14k so I was a little surprised that there was so much tarnish and erosion of the filler metal. 

Yep. That is surprising.  My 14k’s generally clean up real nice. 

10 hours ago, CCadrin said:

So true. I found a nice 10K ring, what I call a panel ring that had 8 sides to it. The coolest ring ever. I dropped it on the tiled kitchen floor, as I was showing it to my wife. It shattered at each connecting point. I now had 8 small panels and no ring 😄.......😭😭😭