17 hours ago, CCadrin said:

Occasionally, we'll get a ring that is so delicate that if you drop it on a hard surface they will break into multiple pieces. This one tested as a 14k so I was a little surprised that there was so much tarnish and erosion of the filler metal. 

I too have seen older gold come out of the ocean VERY brittle! 

• Like 1

CC

Without destroying the ring, if there is a better way to test, please help me out.

CC take the ring to Craig, he will tell you right away. Also ..ask Craig about his 1920 class ring he walked over to show me and I broke it for him with my fingers when I was I was looking at it...very brittle

2 hours ago, midalake said:

I too have seen older gold come out of the ocean VERY brittle! 

• Like 1

I needed to know so I did the electrolysis and cleanup the ring by brushing and wiping clean. I also did the acid test on the metal that is the thinnest part of the band where it looks like the ring could have been plated. It appears to be gold under the plate. That result is still 14k. The pic was taken 5 minutes after applying the acid.

IMG_3785.jpg

IMG_3786.jpg

IMG_3787.jpg

IMG_3788.jpg

IMG_3789.jpg

IMG_3790.JPG

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

CC

Without destroying the ring, if there is a better way to test, please help me out.

CC take the ring to Craig, he will tell you right away. Also ..ask Craig about his 1920 class ring he walked over to show me and I broke it for him with my fingers when I was I was looking at it...very brittle

He has only been out a hand full of times dealing with his issues. I'll definitely put it aside and have his opinion and he always have a strong opinion...lol

I think I heard that story about you breaking his ring.

A lot of pollution in our waters.

That is the oddest gold ring I have ever seen. I would swear it was plated until you tested it. I'm not sure what would de-laminate a ring like that. My second guess would have been gold over silver (vermeil). It would be interesting to see if the layers are a different karat. That would be a job for an XRF for sure.

See if I can find some pictures, just a quick guess and I could be wrong. It's hand laid gold or Rolled gold. Over what I am not sure. And these are thicker then GF or Plated so they have a peeled look when breaking down. I have seen 24k (999) rolled over 22k before, then lower grades over brass. My best suggest is take it to a jeweler. 

After confirming with another expert , Famous Craig , we have come to the conclusion that this is what we like to call a "Junker". I trashed one similar about 8 months ago. Bottomline is your acid is eating that thing away. Real , solid gold will not do that...Your Welcome !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, King-Of-Bling said:

After confirming with another expert , Famous Craig , we have come to the conclusion that this is what we like to call a "Junker". I trashed one similar about 8 months ago. Bottomline is your acid is eating that thing away. Real , solid gold will not do that...Your Welcome !

Not completely true, if it is rolled gold or hand laid you can peel the gold off..which may not be much weight but there is enough gold to be saved that it can be sold as scrap. Which I have done before when sell junk gold...(Teeth, Earrings, grills, gold emblems, and gold peelings) Takes about 5 minutes. Now the base metal maybe worthless which I would call junk. 

On Gold filled and Gold plated items..(1/XX) ....don't even waste your time, they flake and do not peel off in one piece. 

• Like 2