15 Inch Coil Balance

Al F

On 3/13/2021 at 4:09 AM, relicmeister said:

I don’t use a shaft counterweight anymore with my 11” coil since trying this: ( and this would work with the 15”)

I have a homemade version of a detector buddy bungee harness. They are meant to attach to the shaft under the pod handle and run around your neck and you put your left arm into it. This actually forces the coil down and in which makes you have to compensate with excess wrist force. So I shortened the strap and have a hook at the elastic end and it grabs a U- loop zip tied to the top of the arm cuff strap. Now the bungee force is directly upward and you get the true weight reduction with a relaxed wrist. The difference was immediately noticeable. With a hook and loop it’s easy to detach the tether even to dig every target if you want. 
   It’s worth a try and if anyone wants pictures of the arrangement let me know and I’ll post them. 

Please do load some pictures if you can.

I never could get used to a bungie system. My Seahunter with large coil is over 5 lbs and I got it to balance just slightly nose heavy and it is one of of the most comfortable machines to swing. I think balance is more critical than weight.

Hi kac

balance IS more important than weight, i agree

with you there. And I have that option whic is an old hose nozzle topped with a chunk of colonial lead covered in black tape and when pressed into shaft end sticks out 4” and perfectly offsets the 11” coil  

my simple bungee is just an option and I can use either one  I just wanted to show others that the arm cuff strap improves the lift angle compared to where folks usually attach it, which induces wrist strain  

I might use a combination of counterweight and bungee tether when I use the 13 x 11 coil I just ordered for my Orx  I’m not planning on getting the 15” coiltek NOX coil 

with my folded Nox shaft, another thing I can do is lock the fold one click up from straight which now puts the coil center ahead of the shaft axis mimicking the offset of an s-shaft which helps alleviate nose heaviness  ive posted about this when I described the folded shaft  I’d link to the thread if I knew how  

Relicmeister