GPZ Low-high Signals And High Yield Vs General

jasong

Does anyone have a vid link to a nugget going low-high (filmed after the update only) that shows how deep it was and how big the nugget was?

On nuggets up to 40 grams I still cannot get a low-high signal with just one exception and that is squirrly little wiry or thin flaky pieces that flip between high-low and low-high, and with some regular pieces when they get really close to the coil they will flip between the two as well. 

I had a 65 gram slug of solid smelted gold and it was going high-low on the GPZ. It was low-high on my 45 though.

What I'd really like to see are the types of gold that are low-high from beginning to end, no matter how far from the coil. If anyone has some links or has such a nugget and could toss it on the ground and film it I would be very grateful.

One reason I'm wondering (ok, don your tinfoil hats) is low-high is so often iron now that I can't help but wonder if discrim might be possible with ZVT tech and there may be some kind of "discrimination update" coming in the future.

Also, bonus question: can anyone show me a case where General is outperforming High Yield in depth and sensitivity and what exactly the type of gold (weight/sponginess/etc) is that causes such a thing to occur? Or ground type if that is causing the difference. We see it on the ML chart (or it would appear that way but we don't know for certain due to omission of actual sample defintion), but I haven't found a case with my gold where it happens yet so I'm curious what to look out for or if I should just give up on going back with General after HY unless I have gold past a certain size threshold.

I don't have any video yet, but am working a patch with very flat thin 1/2 gram  or so nuggets. They are located in the cracks in the schist and if I sweep the coil across the cracks its high-low. Sweeping the coil with the cracks its low-high until I move the nugget out of the crack and off its edge  while digging.  All of them so far have been very shallow at around 4 inches.

• Like 2

Swifty, that sounds about in line with what I described above with the shallow or squirrly wirey/thin flaky shaped nuggets that flip tones. Also some flip just by getting close enough to the coil.

I'm curious if anything else causes the low-high other than those though (or iron). Like large stuff, deep stuff...?

*I should also add I have seen a wider variety of nuggets go low-high in Difficult but I'm more curious about Normal.

• Like 2

No video here also, but with the low/high signals, it is probably more so with the Z but the PIs did it too, find it at times on small sug-grammers but more so on nearly all large solids. And when the Z or PIs "sing" (sort of quiet warble) tis a exciting dig because mostly tis gold, large or small. The below 8 grammer was a "normal" high/low. From a personal view I doubt I`d use discriminating on a gold detector, but that may be due to the country I detect having bugger all trash.

One 8G solid I tested before I dug showed General was a more pronounced signal then high yield, found it in high yield it was a definite repeatable quiet signal but on switching to general was a much clearer signal. 23" deep in a sandy-rocky ck, in the thin clay bottom.

find it at times on small sug-grammers but more so on nearly all large solids. 

Norvic, you are getting low-highs on nearly all large solids? Like what sort of weight range? What gold and ground modes are you running?

In one of our next videos you will see me find a 50g'er and a few others that make the reverse tone you are talking about.

Nearly every large deep nugget I have found has made a reverse tone warble sound.

I was in General/Normal when I found them.

I have found that General punches way deeper than HY on target's larger than about 15g but the signal is more subtle but carries way further than HY, and the response can be more complex.

This 32oz'er @ 1150mm made the reverse tone warble (GPX 5000 20in nf mono) 

post-647-0-10123900-1452163070_thumb.jpg

So did this 21oz'er 950mm (GPX 5000 14in nf mono)

post-647-0-24730900-1452163343_thumb.jpg

So you definitely want to be digging any complex warbely sounds!

Notice that most gold nuggets are oddly shaped.

It is because of this that you get complex or multiple signals back from them what ever detector you use.

But the Zed amplifies this effect even more because it has 2x receive winding's!

• Like 2

I have found that General punches way deeper than HY on target's larger than about 15g but the signal is more subtle but carries way further than HY, and the response can be more complex....

So you definitely want to be digging any complex warbely sounds

That's interesting I might have to revisit a few areas using General. I've never used that timing at all, just High Yield/Difficult since the update. Should try General/Normal some time.

Second that warbly sound. It's my favorite noise on the GPZ. I've dug some seriously deep targets after getting that tone. Sometimes trash, sometimes gold. It can be so subtle that it's really easy to miss it in all the ground noise.

Yeah, most larger pieces of gold I`ve found give the high/low, have not noticed at what weight it becomes most common, suspect has   to do with shape, did think the odd shaped ones it was more so. Although ?????? that theory , with a recent 2ozer that is basically a round blob, it gave a distinct high/low even when dug out.  Get it on sub-grammers too but definitely not as often. On the general-HY debate, if I believe I`m in deeper ground most times I switch to general, but go with HY most of time.

But having done only one season with Z , suspect opinion may change down the track. Whilst it is a most easy machine to use, it also has some subtle complexities. eg. I swing from Steves insane settings to Bogenes at other extreme plus anywhere in between. All over the place but finding gold, but suspect that is more to do with time of day ,tiredness etc maybe even time of the month. :rolleyes:

Check out my channel by clicking on the link below. My last upload was done after the update and is drop tone or high/low signal.  

Ive also got a video where i compare the signal of a (what i thought was huge but turned out to be flat) nugget at bout 1.5 feet. At the beginning i compared high yield and general. 

I hope this helps out. Good luck!! 

Cheers, JG. 

I'll 3rd the complex warbly sounds too, almost every faintish deep sounding one has been a 1/2+ ozer for me or a large smooshed out weird shape nugget. I can't even fathom digging up big pieces like those over here Gold Hound, nice stuff.

Jay, were you running General/Normal in your latest video? No question about your targets in that and the G vs HY vid going low-high, that's exactly what I wanted to see on video, thanks.

I've dug probably 15-20 nuggets with the GPZ above about 1/4 oz now, and I still haven't got one that goes low-high so I was really starting to think it didn't happen but that clearly is not the case. I wonder why they aren't flipping over for me? I'd think maybe ground related but it looks like yours went low-high from beginning to end when the nugget wasn't even covered with soil.

Any idea what the purity of your gold runs? How often are they going low-high for you after about 1/4 ounce and higher?