GPZ Low-high Signals And High Yield Vs General

jasong

You buying plane tickets Lunk?  :D

• Like 1

Just wondering. Different polarities from northern to southern hemispheres. ZVT switches polarities. Very interesting discussion. Way above my brain payscale.

Hey good thinking...is there a physicist in the room?

• Like 1

Earths mag field is more or less constant (relative to time scales for a metal detector at least), it's also pretty weak. PI detectors look for transients. So I think even if they could sense the Earth's mag field they could just null it out.

• Like 1

You buying plane tickets Lunk?  :D

Well I've been averaging an ounce a month with my Zed here in Q, so it may take a few more moons, lol

Yeah I hear that, I'm not making any ticket purchases myself anytime soon either for sure. Maybe a bus ticket to scenic Fargo North Dakota or something. Aussie gold is safe from us for now it seems.

• Like 1

Jasong, The ground I mainly prospect is fairly low mineralised, although I use difficult most of time, but I have prospected OZ wide for a 2 years solid stint in late 90`s and consider our "hot" ground is a bit of a romantic myth, from reading some posts on 4M I suspect you have some just as "hot". Bit like the stories of snakes in OZ.  I really don`t think its our ground difference, but shape, solidness, purity etc. Steve and Robby have put it from a technical side that ties in with my on ground experience or maybe SS has nailed it.

Never understood how you fellows stay up there and don`t fall downunder, defies gravity. :)

True only spent 2 months in Vic, and while I concede you have some hot ground in Victoria, like WAs reckon they have the hottest, really but tis no different in Qld. NT also have hot ground and they believe the hottest, and I suspect NSW s also but didn`t prospect there. Suspect all countries have hot ground in their gold fields, just don`t go along with the story OZ has the hottest ground. Just a personal opinion.

Argyle, Where do you believe is the hottest ground? I`ll pack up and join you there. :)

• Like 1

All found GT in Vic. Hy/DIFF. LARGE NUG ABOUT 6:5g broken wirey signal. The 4g and 2.5g gave low highs. From 25cm to 30cm all originally faint but audible. Signals were masked by the ground. In anther type of ground or area they would have banged out. So I reckon ground type plus timing has a lot to do with the response.post-580-0-75730600-1453716310_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Jasong et al,

My experience and that of a detecting buddy with the Zed in a USA hardrock environment is that 100% of our confirmed gold finds went high-low in HIGH YIELD/NORMAL.  Some switch to low high with other ground type settings, some don't.

However, my wife's large 18kt wedding band is low-high in HIGH YIELD/NORMAL in an air test.

Our gold is typically 85% Au 15% Ag.   Our various types of hot rock can sound high-low or low-high.

I started a thread on this subject in June 2015, http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1057-gpz-7000-discrimination/    and am pleased to find more great commentary in this thread.  Sorry to be late to your thread.

I have believed (from reading MD theory and discussions with experts) the gold purity is less the factor than gold size / shape for the phase of the return signal and hence tone.   I have confirmed this with tin foil tests, that is I can cut small pieces of flat tin foil and on HIGH YIELD/NORMAL it rings high-low.   I can cut larger pieces and/or shape some into a ring shape and the Zed sounds low-high on HIGH YIELD/DIFFICULT.     Having read this thread I understand Steve's point on conductivity of object relative to ground balance point and I'll just have to ponder that some more.

"Digging" in our environment almost always involves explosives so we go through a process to qualify a gold target.  My normal hunting routine is to go prospecting with the Zed.  Mark interesting spots to come back to with other MDs and my partner to help in discerning gold/hot rock.   I have come to use the Zed high-low trend as a PART of the target validation process.   If it sounds low-high and I can visibly see known hot rock rock structure at the site of the target or a lot of it in the close vicinity my analog brain moves toward judging hot rock.   If I get a low-high in visible quartz, I'm thinking (well, more hoping) for a large bonanza and come back with more weapons.   A low-high has not yet turned out a bonanza or any amount of gold.  Yes, I've walked away from quite a few low-highs.

The Zed has sounded high-low on multiple finds that ended up being equal in ounces to many, many of my wife's wedding rings.  These were natural deposits spread over a volume of quartz.   Again, my wife's ring sounds low-high in an air test.

• Like 1