Just The Artifacts #2

49 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I thought it was kinda funny that "California Fig Syrup" came from Louisville Kentucky.

Probably had some kick to it, too, and I don't mean from a horse (even though they are equally famous for that commodity).  :laugh:

I'd say for a bad day this turned out pretty good.  You need to come on one of my hunts if you want a to experience bad.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Probably had some kick to it, too, and I don't mean from a horse (even though they are equally famous for that commodity).  :laugh:

I'd say for a bad day this turned out pretty good.  You need to come on one of my hunts if you want a to experience bad.

Yeah, apparently it was 6% alcohol, and had a special ingredient - Senna - it was intended as a laxative. It also helps date this site as the bottle is from the 1890s.

"Kick" is almost an understatement. 😀

My bad day was yesterday, found nothing else in my oldest field. Went up the road and found an unidentifiable date wheat penny, a toothpaste tube top and a grommet. At least I got a coin. 🤪

• Like 1

You have a 6" coil for your nox?

Also if you try making cherry pick passes you might be able to squeak out some coins. Just notch out all except small ranges and go over the area. More walking but easier on the brain. I use a notch mode on my Multi Kruzer where I use notch audio to turn down the volume of unwanted ranges. Works very well for me in trash heaps.

I believe you can do something similar on the Nox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kac said:

You have a 6" coil for your nox?

Also if you try making cherry pick passes you might be able to squeak out some coins. Just notch out all except small ranges and go over the area. More walking but easier on the brain. I use a notch mode on my Multi Kruzer where I use notch audio to turn down the volume of unwanted ranges. Works very well for me in trash heaps.

I believe you can do something similar on the Nox.

Thanks for the tip!

I'm probably going to get the 6" coil at some point. Thought of notching today, but left it wide open to get what I could get.

Most of the stuff I found would fall into any notches I set. Field 2 cuts out iron up to "9" which is immaterial to anyone who doesn't have an Equinox. Means that most iron is rejected. However, without switching to "all metal", the higher (better) tones become clipped and it scares a noob like me. It seemed like I was missing targets, so I ran in all metal most of the time unless it got really bad. Best part is that you can assign volume to iron tones making them quieter so your head doesn't get ripped off. Field 2 makes iron almost inaudible compared to non ferrous targets. And then there's falsing... 🙄

Still sounds like an 8-bit video game in that area. 😵 Other areas here are so quiet I turn up sensitivity just so I can hear ground contours... 🤣

All in all it's a great exercise for someone like me that is new to the hobby, and I'm impressed by how powerful the Equinox can be.

• Like 2

On the Kruzer the audio will clip bad if you use regular notching but the machine has a Notch Audio volume control that works like iron audio but applies to notched blocks so your not clipping and still hear targets and still get a vdi report. When I hit horrible areas I use it to scout out any louder targets then will switch to it's 3 tone mode that has a very fast recovery to isolate the target of interest.

The only machine I trust with discrimination is my Tejon, I never feel like I am missing anything with it because it has a smoother transition on the disc point.

• Like 2

Actually think the bottle is my favorite.  I live in California fig country.   Nice finds overall.   

• Like 3

Great finds in a tough area F350P!  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CVISChris said:

Actually think the bottle is my favorite.  I live in California fig country.   Nice finds overall.   

When I was a kid my mother used to take us out bottle digging, not sure she ever got permission to dig where we did but we found a really old site. 🤔  She was quite an adventurer. Dug hundreds of them, sold them at yard sales. Good times. There is an old dump behind my house and I'm working on permission for that.

Gotta say I look forward to your exploits, you've been finding great stuff!