Coiltek Nox 10" Elliptical Coil Saves A Few. Is One Of The Finds Ivory?

12 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Also, what is the item about the size of a nickel and it has a star in the glass?

That hexagram or six-pointed star has been used by so many organizations/religions that it could be tough to tie it down.  However, since you are in Mormon Territory (right?) and they used it, that's my first guess.  Don't let Gary Drayton see it or he'll be digging there for Templar treasures.

I assume since you didn't show the back that it's not a button with metal loop.  Think it might have been afixed with an adhesive and subsequently gotten knocked loose?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ChuckScrivener said:

What a fun winter day detecting! Thanks for sharing. Are those 5x10” coils now in stock? I can’t wait to get my hands on one. 

Not yet in stock, but I'll be getting some next week.  I've been a Minelab dealer for 20+ yrs and also using/selling CoilTek coils for just as long.  They promised to send me a test coil, but since it's still pretty much winter, I have not been able to chase any gold nuggets with it.  So the best opportunity now is try my luck at some local sites I know of for relics.

I have a list started for the coils and if you want on it, shoot me an email from www.gerrysdetectors.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Againstmywill said:

Looks like bone.

https://youtu.be/62PKdovwlNs

The video was very informative and I think you are correct, it's probably bone.  Not sure if a piece of carved ivory that has been dug up in dirt can still not show veining but at least I know what non dug bone looks like.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Not yet in stock, but I'll be getting some next week.  I've been a Minelab dealer for 20+ yrs and also using/selling CoilTek coils for just as long.  They promised to send me a test coil, but since it's still pretty much winter, I have not been able to chase any gold nuggets with it.  So the best opportunity now is try my luck at some local sites I know of for relics.

I have a list started for the coils and if you want on it, shoot me an email from www.gerrysdetectors.com

Thank you, Gerry. I’ll drop you a line. I have been using the 6” but definitely could use more coverage. The stock 11” picks up too much ground noise in many of my patches. I hope the 5x10 is the ticket. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Coiltek Nox 10" Elliptical Coil Saves A Few. Is One Of The Finds Ivory?
On 3/4/2021 at 5:12 AM, Chase Goldman said:

Nice saves.. .So how was the depth for it's size compared to the 6", Gerry?  Were there any quirks (coil bump sensitivity, excessive falsing on small iron, etc.)

I'm yearning to know that answer as well (depth), but I did not have a staff member there with me using his own EQ-800 and a 6" coil.  I was mainly hunting a very trashy site (old burn dump) and had my SENS turned down to 15 because depth was not my concern.  I wanted good target separation, which I did get.

I didn't get any falsing such as when a coil has a broken winding, but I was not prospecting and banging the coil like I d when Prospecting.  We still have snow in the hills around us, so the gold testing will have to wait.

Sorry I was not able to answer your questions and that will take time this summer when I am in the gold fields with staff and we are deliberately comparing and testing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"La Vencedora" carved onto that bone or ivory roughly means "The Winner" in English.  Maybe it was originally given as a prize to somebody?  I look forward to future 10x5 coil reports. 😀

Come to think of it, "La Vencedora" could also be the brand name for that item.

• Like 2