Vanquish 540

Bucko

Hey guys and gals.

I just bought my first detector, I went with the 540 just as a newbie never detected before reviews and recommendations pointed me in that direction.

I turned it on and there’s constant noise no matter where I point it, it doesn’t seem to stop, to the point I turn it off while I’m digging is this normal?

any other tips or tricks with the V540 for a green horn?

I have been on YouTube galore but still be nice to hear first hand.

Cheers!

• Like 3

Yes perhaps electrical interference . Move to an other location and retry your 540 . If you have still the pb then it could be a faulty machine.

• Like 3

Hey Bucko, welcome to detecting and to the forum.  Good suggestions above.  The EMI interference could come from overhead power lines or possibly your cell phone if it is near your detector.  Also, you might try reconnecting the coil cable... which shouldn't matter, but exhausting any odd options.  You know... the classic IT Help Desk troubleshooting response... "reboot the machine".  Also, in the same vein of exhausting all options... give it a quick factory reset. 

Good luck, hopefully you can get it to quiet down.  ~Tim.

• Like 3

Welcome to this forum! 

The people who have responded have all owned and like the Vanquish series detectors. In general, they are very quiet detectors so your issue is definitely unusual. Since you are a newbie, there are a couple of things that could be happening. 

1.If you are getting a constant relatively unchanging tone you may have a defective Vanquish.

2.If you are getting a multitude of varying individual pops, clicks and wavering tones along with changing target ID numbers with the coil in the air, you are experiencing EMI.

If your problem sounds like 1.... you could have a problem with you battery connections or with an individual battery, you could have a bad coil or coil connection or an internal circuit board component failure. Try reinstalling your batteries, check you coil connection and if you have the 540 Pro Pack, try the other coil but first do a full factory reset and do not do any of this inside or near your home. 

Related to 2.........the Vanquish will do a 5 second process during startup that runs through 19 small incremental frequency checks to determine what operating frequencies will be the least bothered by electromagnetic interference. So, where your Vanquish and its search coil are during startup will be very crucial.  Hold it still with the coil away from the ground when first turning it on. Turning it on anywhere near a large metallic object, near any Wi-Fi or other sources of electricity will be a bad idea especially if the last time you used it your sensitivity was maxed out. So turning it on with full sensitivity engaged in a house, car or near power lines will result in a lot of unwanted chatter from EMI. Your coil is an antenna for incoming electrical signals and since the Vanquish is tuned to simultaneously receive signals from 5 kHz to at least 40 kHz, there are plenty of exterior sources other than electrically stimulated metallic in the ground targets that are using those frequencies. Your cell phone or your powered on handheld pinpointer if you have one, could be an interference source too. I usually turn my pinpointer on before I turn on my Vanquish and Equinox so they will pick frequencies that will not receive too much interference from my pinpointer.

Running any detector at or near full sensitivity is a bad idea in an urban or suburban setting near electrical power sources.  I usually can only run my Vanquish or any of my detectors between half and three quarters sensitivity. I still find tons of 8 to 10" targets with my Vanquish 440 and Equinox even on those sensitivity settings and I don't have the constant chatter that will cover up good signals and drive me completely nuts. You should not have to turn off your detector when you dig.

good luck

Jeff

Also, this happens to me very often in extremely trashy areas. I will detect a target, put my Equinox or Vanquish down on the ground, start to recover the target and my detector will intermittently beep. I accidentally put the coil on top of another target!!!

• Like 9

Thank you guys, I was just in my yard when I turned it on I’ll take it out for a hunt today to a park and see if that makes some difference. I was getting 31-34 in my yard which I couldn’t seem to find but I was near my verandah posts, sounds like that could have been interfering?.

Thanks again for the detailed advice I will Try it today and will keep you posted!

cheers 

• Like 2

Yep, any kind of large metal target (bigger than a coin) especially chain link fencing or metal supports or posts can be picked up from a distance of even two feet or more depending on their thickness, by the top, sides or bottom of your search coil even with conservative sensitivity settings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bucko said:

Yeah I didn’t manage to get out but I will tomorrow thanks for the advice all taken in and can’t wait to try it out 

It is a common error for beginners to try a detector in a yard .  But such areas near houses are the worst locations for learning MD because they contain a lot of trash : big and small irons , aluminium bits/foils etc ...  The good thing to do is to find a "quiet" area , away from houses , buildings and powerlines  . Open fields or woods/forests are good places where to start.

As said above the Vanquish series are very reliable machines and I am quite sure that it will go much better for you and your 540 in a quieter area  🙂...

HH ..

• Like 2

Yup yup , sounds like you just need more time with the detector getting to know each other.......Remember , don't expect too much until the third date  ! 😄

Keep your coil under control and on target.

• Like 2