Online Claim Research Questions

I’ve been curious about using the Bureau of Land Management’s MLRS site   https://mlrs.blm.gov/s/   to figure out where to go detect on open lands in heavily claimed areas, and I’ve noticed that it does show some “active claims” on the maps highlighted with red crosshatching, but it doesn’t show “active claims” in other areas at all. It’s strange because the map key includes a code for active load and active placer claims, in addition to closed ones. I’ve heard that it’s because BLM hasn’t caught up on the records yet, but does anyone know why otherwise? I hope it becomes available because that would be a wonderful feature instead of having to get records from their offices. 

• The title was changed to Blm Mlrs Questions

3 hours ago, GotAU? said:

I’ve been curious about using the Bureau of Land Management’s MLRS site   https://mlrs.blm.gov/s/   to figure out where to go detect on open lands in heavily claimed areas, and I’ve noticed that it does show some “active claims” on the maps highlighted with red crosshatching, but it doesn’t show “active claims” in other areas at all. It’s strange because the map key includes a code for active load and active placer claims, in addition to closed ones. I’ve heard that it’s because BLM hasn’t caught up on the records yet, but does anyone know why otherwise? I hope it becomes available because that would be a wonderful feature instead of having to get records from their offices. 

I use Minecache, overlaid on Google Earth, to see all mines and claims (active and inactive). I think it is the best research tool out there. I use Google Earth because you can also display USGS maps at the same time as you see all active and passive claims and mines. Unfortunately, BLM does not have a good Google Earth map feature so I go and check the land status on the BLM site separately.

https://minecache.com/ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And the BLM does have Google Earth overlays both for the PLSS and land ownership. USGS has a mines overlay too, which is what Minecache and other websites take and repackage and sell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, jasong said:

And the BLM does have Google Earth overlays both for the PLSS and land ownership

Never worked well for me with Google Earth, but I will give it another try

34 minutes ago, jasong said:

All of these 3rd party websites like Minecache or yes even Mylandmatters (though they are far and away the best 3rd party site with the most knowledgeable people) are not substitutes for doing any kind of claim research, though many newer people tend to think it's suffices, that is not the case. 

The county recorder is of course the best option, assuming you have an interest in a particular area already established and you take the time to do a deeper dive, i.e. before staking a claim. However, for rapid screening of larger areas that are potentially open for prospecting, for instance before going on a weekend trip, this is not really a practical method IMO.

• Like 1

Jason's method is solid, but I admit  generally I dont dig at the county unless I need specifics on a claim. BLM is good for showing the established claims.  So hopefully when boots hit the ground, if there was a recent filing, there should be an obvious display of corner markers, monument, or something showing the recent filing as required by law.

That said, be really cautious with BLM data this year. At least in CA they are way behind on annual updates.

2 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

Never worked well for me with Google Earth, but I will give it another try

Here is the Public Land Survey System (Township/Range/Section) kmz for the US, and historic mine and Geology kmz file set for California, and a kmz file for Arizona that I downloaded from USGS in the past. Open each of them with Google Earth and good Internet connectivity.

I also suggest closing these kmz files in Google Earth before leaving it, it will try to open the files the next time when you restart Google Earth and it takes awhile otherwise.

They are interesting to browse on Google Earth, and were plotted using the information provided by claimants so beware, many of them are within a 1/8th and even a 1/4 section of the real point. 

Geologic units of California.kmz Mineral Resource Data System 2.kmz Mineral Resource Data System 1.kmz Mineral Resource Data System 3.kmz Mineral Resource Data System 4.kmz

Mineral Resource Data System Az.kmz

BLM National Public Land Survey System.kmz

• Like 2

I have used The Diggings for active claims.  Taking The Diggings info to the County Recorder's office I have retrieved claim filing documents.  I have seen some indication elsewhere that there are patented claims in the area (Greaterville AZ), so I got a list of patented claims (Excel file) from the County Assessor's Office.  Yet there is only one patented claim shown in my target area.  The area I am interested in probably is patented.  It's a prime location.  I'd very much like to detect this area, but I'm stymied for lack of reliable information.  Anyone got a suggestion?

• The title was changed to Online Claim Research Questions