Finally Got My 600

pdunc

Having been in and out of detecting for the last 35 years, decided to get back into it after selling all my equipment 2 years ago.  Bought an Equinox 600 and plan on trying it out next week on the coast, the only unfrozen ground in my area. Really looking forward to getting used to it since it is quite different than my prior Fisher CZ-21. My plan for this season is to hit dry sand beaches, water shallows(since I don’t have waterproof headphones yet), school yards, parks, and old house foundations. I don’t plan on detecting deeper water for now, but towards the end of our short season here in Maine, I’ll give my detector a few good dunkings to see if it leaks. After reading some of this forums posts, I’m concerned about putting my season in jeopardy if it does leak. I would be interested in hearing from those of you who have NOT had problems detecting in say 5’ or so of water, especially fresh water. All my water hunting in the past has been in fresh water, not salt. Also, has ML corrected the problem with the “ears” of the coil breaking? From some of my reading here it seems to have been a problem.

• Like 1

What part of Maine are you from?  I'm just south of the border in Portsmouth. When I saw your forum name I thought you might be from North Carolina until I saw in your post that you are from Maine. I know quite a few Maine detectorists. I used to belong to the Maine Metal Detecting forum before it shut down. One of the members just recently started a new Maine detecting forum and it's slowly becoming active. 

I have the 800 and love it.  I'm not a water hunter so I don't plan on ever submerging it. I mostly hunt the wet sand. Very rarely will I bother with the dry sand.

I also have a CZ20 with 8" coil that I bought in '98 and still use from time to time. I prefer it over the Equinox on rocky beaches. I enjoy beach hunting but my main thing is relic hunting. We relic hunt year round down here as long as the snow isn't too deep which is most of the time.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Heya Badger

Can you post a link to that new maine forum ?

Here you go Popeye.  I already knew you were from Maine   https://mainemetaldetecting.com/

• Thanks 1

Hi Badger. Thought I recognized your screen name from MaineMetalDetecting from when I was a member. I live just outside of Lewiston. Did some detecting at Reid State with Donna(Snowy) and Joe once. Went to a club show and tell in Auburn years ago. Hadn’t realized that their site wasn’t up until just the other day. Wonder what they are up to now? I plan on making metal detecting a once in a while hobby this time, not an obsession. Used to do all night detecting trips as well as hitting some very difficult places to get to. Getting kind of old to go that route now.

I don't know what Joe and Snowy are doing.  I don't even know if they still metal detect. They didn't seem to be doing much detecting during the final year of the forum.

Was pdunc your name on the Maine forum?