Old Vs New Gtax 1000 Cable Connectors. New Coil, Wrong Connector.

I wish I had found this forum earlier. Just signed up today. This is best detector forum I have ever seen.

I have an old GTAX 1000. Bought it new back in 2000. The factory coil (Crossfire Supreme Deepseeker) was destroyed in a car accident. The control head and top tube section were not touched. I home brewed a bottom tube and it works fine. I called Kellyco asking for a replacement coil. The sales person said they only had one coil that would work with a GTAX 1000. A week later I received from Kellyco a Garrett Pro Performance Elliptical search coil. I called Garrett to make sure the coil would work and was advised that it would. I purchased the new coil almost a year ago. I'm just now getting around to installing it.

Here's the problem:
The end connector on the new search coil cable will not fit the GTAX 1000 coil cable receptacle. Both cable connectors of the new and old search coils are five pin but of a different configuration. I can solder the old connector to the new detector coil cable. I'm just not sure of which pins of the old connector the new coil wires go to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a new detector but I want to keep the old one because it has served my purpose for many years. Both Kellyco and Garrett detectors said the new coil will work with the GTAX 1000. I have attached photos of the two cable connectors.

This is really a great forum. Earlier this afternoon I looked the forum over for over an hour. My old GTAX 1000 has found many civil war artifacts. I want to keep it alive.

Thanks,

Bruce in Kingston, OK

new.JPG

old.JPG

• Like 1

Thank-you Sir. I'll call them tomorrow. Maybe they have an adapter that would allow use of the new connector.

44 minutes ago, kac said:

You can try to contact these guys and see what they have. They made connectors for many detector brands, even custom ones and that might be stock.

https://www.switchcraft.com/

I went to the Website. They have the correct type of connectors and hopefully they have a wiring diagram or an adapter.

You can email them, they are pretty good at contacting back. I tried to get some connectors for my Tesoro but they were custom made for Tesoro by Switch-Craft and they no longer had any.

I'm also a ham radio operator. Heck, for years I've used DIN adapters, coax cable adapters, etc. Hopefully these guys can help out. I opened up the old connector and made note of the wiring. Later I'll do the same with the connector on the new coil cable. Kellyco may have something. Surely there are other owners that have had the same problem. Maybe someone on the forums will know what to do. I'll let you know how things go. In Mississippi the old GTAX 1000 hit on a grape shot ball about a foot deep. I want to get the old machine back up and running. It was a faithful detector for 20 years.

• Like 1

Is changing the male connector on the contol box an option?  (Maybe you'll have the same problem of figuring out which wires go to which pins...)  But that way you'll have all new connectors instead of all old (grubby looking 🥴) ones like in the bottom picture.

• Like 1