Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector

On 2/7/2016 at 1:40 AM, tvanwho said:

A real life treasure hunt is really cool Bob.Thanks for sharing the photos and story.  So people really do bury money and such? How did you tell the silver bars vs the fence that was so close by? I assume that ammo box let off a BIG bang and not a whisper? Looks like maybe a foot down?

I always heard most folks bury stuff only as deep as they can reach?

I have a buddy at work who buried $5,000 in his parents back yard but in cash just in case he ever got divorced he would have his secret stash to fall back on. Then his parents moved and his brother moved in and took down the old satellite dish that was my buddys landmark. He had to probe the ground with a metal rod as the cash was in a plastic bag. Somehow he lucked out and found it.

-Tom

They were all buried about 16 inches deep.  In a line out from the fence posts.  Yeah, the wire fence was a problem but more so the surface trash.  Once those were cleared out, then the boxes were big broad signals.  His reasoning for burying them was the home was way out in the woods and subject to a forest fire coming through.  He works out of town, sometimes weeks at a time.  No other savings or retirement accounts, so this is his retirement stash.

Yep, people still do bury money, probably more than you would think.  Imagine all the drug money that is hidden like this.  Banks are not trusted much more now than they were a hundred years ago, what with failures, government seisures, lawyers, and ex wives.

And against popular belief, rarely is anything buried more than 2 ft deep.  Deep enough to be hidden, but shallow enough to be quickly retrieved.  Well within the range of any good detector.

• Like 2

the guy should have been aware of (following) the price of silver and

sold in 2011 when it peaked at close to $50...

I rounded up all my loose silver for melt value and caught it on the way down at $42...

OK, just to get back on track. I took a look around, and though White's made a big deal about their special MX Sport Preview page on Facebook it fizzled out after a few days. Nothing there really after Jan 25th. The main White's Facebook page however is where the action is. They just posted a 17 minute video doing air tests and on ground tests comparing the MX Sport to the MXT Pro and MX5.

The depth stuff in air tests is not something I pay much attention to but it is interesting for those of you who might not realize it to see the air test differences between a quarter and a nickel on all three machines. The 14 kHz strength on a low conductive target is highlighted as well as the general weakness on high conductive targets like a quarter. I am not surprised to see all three machines get better air tests on a nickel than a quarter but it may be an eye opener for those not familiar with how basic operating frequency resonates with certain target types.

Other standout points was the MX5 being far more prone to EMI than the other two machines, which does surprise me a bit. The ability of the MXT and MX Sport to lock ground tracking is well illustrated, although a brief graphic incorrectly shows the MXT as not having ground phase information displayed (it does in prospect mode). Finally, a good showing for recovery time for the MX Sport. You also get a good listen to the sounds/tones the machines make in the video.

Hopefully it will get posted on YouTube later as Facebook is a locked world when it comes to video. I will keep an eye open and post here later if it shows up. Edit: see a couple posts down, video posted by khouse

World wide gold rush spurred by high gold prices, leading to huge dollar volumes in detector sales is one factor. An explosion of interest in Europe is another. And a once obscure hobby being made visible by numerous TV shows is another. Add that all up along with sluggish responses from some U.S. metal detector manufacturers and many people saw openings in the market to capitalize on.

I have always hated how slowly things change in the detector world but I guess that in itself has finally changed. Funny part is now people complain too many machines too fast. Just goes to show you can't make everyone happy no matter what. I think the competition is going to get extremely intense however and I do not see how that can't be anything but good for us.

Ok, I have kept out of this long enough just watching and listening to make sure I got all the facts right, As Steve points out Air Test are not worth a Toss and quite right Too, So to keep in with the Spirit of the Video I did the exact same tests, So here's what I got,

The Air Test and saying that the MX-5 was better than the MXT is ridiculous, Why did they not put the DD on the MX-5 Then ??, Simple because the MXT would of Eaten the MX-5 

Ground Balancing Test.

The MXT Takes just 2 pumps of the coil to ignore my ground reading which is higher than theirs, So to push the GB on the MXT to extreme,  I then got a 2 foot magnetic Sign and within 2 pumps of the coil it was GONE.

Separation Test.

The MX-5 did not fair to well here but it Did give a good account of it's self, So as expected the nail on the coin facing North/South the MXT blitzed it, So then I got 1(one) Nail pointing East/West and the Quarter at 4" away then at 3" and then at 1/2" and then at an 1/8" of an Inch, when the nail was touching the Quarter the signal was jumping about a bit, So to make it even harder I got 2 (TWO) nails and did the same test again (No Change).  So to make it even harder on the MXT I took the Quarter and the Nails Indoors and placed them in a wooden floor that is peppered with Nails and ?? You Guessed it No Problem The Quarter rang out loud and Clear,

The Sharper Signal Sound does not represent the speed of the machine, because you can make it sound like a train whistle if you wanted to and with a flick in to C&J with the MXT you can make it give those sharp signals, As for the Ground Balancing I have Owned 3 models of the MXTs and Not ONE of them took more than 2 pumps of the Coil to wipe out the Ground. His ground reading was 57, my ground is between 59 to 70 and when I took my first MXT (MXT 300) back to OZ it had a Ground Reading of between 92 - 94 and the soil was Blood Red. 

I would have no problem with handing over money to buy the MX-Sport, But this video is BS, The Only thing the MX-Sport has Going for it is that it is Waterproof, I don't need 20 tone ID's it's a Bugga trying to remember what 4 Tones mean, Personally I need 2 (TWO) DIG or NO DIG, and the rest of it is just trinkets that are not needed by any serious Detectorist / Prospector, And the MXT All Pro can see Items as small as 0.03 grams just using the standard 10" round DD. So unless you need a Waterproof Machine for submerging then the MX-Sport is bringing nothing to the table Because the MXT will Smoke it and Don't forget that even Whites said it was made to compete with the AT Pro NOT the MXT.

john