Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector

I think that the MXT is on the way out and there is something else coming because Whites have never shown one of their machines in a bad light before, those results are 100% Wrong, Setting the MXT up as how he said he did I can hit a Quarter in C&J to where it bleeps between 12 and 1/2 inches and I get a strong 3rd tone signal out to 15+ inches and after 16" it is gone, and if I use the 9.5 coil the MX-5 had it will go 2 or 3 inches further than the DD,

Anyway as soon as I get youtube sorted ( If I Can ) I will try and Video it, and put this to rest.

john.

Well John, I think in your desire to defend the MXT you are over analyzing the video and missing the message.

The message is that the engineers at White's seem to think that after 14 years they have been able to make some improvements over the performance of the MXT. I do not think it implausible that they have done that. After all, it has been 14 years and a lot has happened in processors and algorithms in that time. I believe they know darn well the ways in which the MX Sport may excel over the MXT, in fact I would assume they know far more about that than anyone else. That being the case I believe that rather than just telling you via a few lines of text they were attempting to illustrate via a video the ways in which they think the MX Sport will excel as compared to the MXT.

I think you have all the grounds in the world to complain about the way you think the video was done. But I sure am not going to bet on you versus the engineers for who probably has more valid opinions about the relative merits of the two detectors. Unless I suppose it is your position that White's is engaging in an outright lie meant to deceive people to try and trick them into thinking the MX Sport is something it is not? That just seems rather unlikely.

F75 is still for sale, just dropped $50. I have no "go to" machine for general purpose detecting. My only go to machine these days is the GPZ 7000.

• Like 1

For my own air testing and swapping coils on mx5 and mxt all pro to and fro i got the same distances for nickel and quarter on each unit of about 10.5 to 11 inches for nickel and 10.5 inches for quarters. The inch offset between their measurements and mine probably are do to how quiet their environment is or the calibration they did or something of the like. I might have it not as tuned or as quiet as theirs but i think actually mxt and mx5 look pretty equal in the std non-boosted gain ranges, except mx5 is much more emi sensitive as they show in the video.

Also it appears they used the default coils on each system in the test. My best readings for air distance on mx5 and mxt were with the mx5 concentric coil. So its not surprising that mx5 with the concentric got 1/2 inch more in distance with the nickel and inch more than quarter.

But what is interesting is that side by side they are getting 1.5 inches more than mxt between mxt all pro and mxsport. That makes me wonder about finding smaller targets or maybe enabling prospecting  capability to find smaller penny nuggets with the sport than mxt.

Also curious to test then the mxsport with the accessory loops steve has listed. If it does better with concentric coil in the air then i want to really see how it does in different grounds with the different loops. As john mentioned 12 inch loop, or a smaller elliptical trash hunting loops, or concentric loop.

• Like 1

Air tests don't help me much. The ground I hunt often has very high magnetite levels and rough rule of thumb discrimination modes are going to lose 50-60% of air tests in my ground. This serves first to compress the air test differences between machines in most cases to nil. It outright reverses concentric vs DD coil air test results, with concentrics air testing better but in actual use lagging the DD coils. Higher frequencies may get better air tests, but lower frequency machines deliver better in ground results.

You have the interesting situation that as coil size increases the volume of the ground it sees expands at a faster rate than the depth gained (in theory) by going to the larger coil, and so in bad ground larger coils can deliver less depth than smaller coils. Dense hot rocks can create masking situations similar to those seen in a classic bed of nails situation, and again smaller coils are often the answer, not larger.

Bottom line is I don't pay much attention to air tests as regards performance in ground. May as well test cars for speed by putting them up on blocks and watching the speedometer when you floor the gas pedal.

• Like 4

Well John, I think in your desire to defend the MXT you are over analyzing the video and missing the message.

The message is that the engineers at White's seem to think that after 14 years they have been able to make some improvements over the performance of the MXT. I do not think it implausible that they have done that. After all, it has been 14 years and a lot has happened in processors and algorithms in that time. I believe they know darn well the ways in which the MX Sport may excel over the MXT, in fact I would assume they know far more about that than anyone else. That being the case I believe that rather than just telling you via a few lines of text they were attempting to illustrate via a video the ways in which they think the MX Sport will excel as compared to the MXT.

I think you have all the grounds in the world to complain about the way you think the video was done. But I sure am not going to bet on you versus the engineers for who probably has more valid opinions about the relative merits of the two detectors. Unless I suppose it is your position that White's is engaging in an outright lie meant to deceive people and try and trick them into thinking the MX Sport is something it is not?

F75 is still for sale, just dropped $50. I have no "go to" machine for general purpose detecting. My only go to machine these days is the GPZ 7000.

I don't care about the fact that I own an MXT, It is more about that it is not factual/ Honest because many folks are going to ditch their machines because a lot of folks can't afford to own many machines and they are going to get their fingers burnt,

I am surprized that you are letting it go because you did so well with it over here, As it is one of the Top 4. maybe it's time for a change, I still like the ATX but I have no use for it to be honest. I need a machine that inspires.

So you really do think John that White's is trying to pull one over on people. I am surprised you would support them at all with your purchases believing that.

People will only get burnt if White's is wrong about their claims and until you lay hands on the MX Sport you can't say that is the case. The videos in my opinion prove nothing one way or the other. Anybody that buys a machine these days right after it comes out is simply asking to get roughed up a bit. Better to wait 6 months or a year to let the dust settle. But for White's to knowingly push the machine as being something it is not would backfire in the long run and I think they are smarter than that. And more honest than that. At least I would hope so!

I am expecting something new from Fisher this year so the F75 goes to make room for whatever it might be. I am not one to settle on a machine and use it forever. The MXT served me well in its time and the F75 in its time. The bottom line is I have a shiny new DEUS waiting for a Version 4 software upgrade and new coil to occupy my time. Maybe arrogance on my part but I think the detectorist makes the detector perform, not the other way around. The MXT and F75 did not make me good, I made them good.

Much as I like the idea of the MX Sport I think the future for me is in machines that let me chose my frequencies. The V3i really is a sweetie but just overly complicated and in too bulky a box. The V offered the best possible combination, one of three frequencies or all three together. The DEUS offers selectable frequencies. The new Nokta Impact will do the same. The X-Terras do it via a coil change but I don't want to change coils to change frequencies. A simplified V3i guts stuffed into the MX Sport housing - now we are talking.

Until we get true hybrids. The GPZ with discrimination, or White's brings their patents to market. The CZX maybe? Going to happen one of these days and then all bets are off.

whites-mx-sport-waterproof-metal-detector.jpg

I am starting to loose faith with whites, I know this video was not don by Whites them selves because their Own Videos are done on a more professional level, So maybe whites have just adopted it under their Banner,

I noticed when they swung the coil on all the machines they only swept over the coil one way when I did this test I noticed that, I get 2 signals one high and one low and if I set it up to ignore iron I get the good tone followed by a chopped signal, If I put the nail on the coin I get a normal tone and if the nail is pointing east west I get a MID tone, but if I put both items on the ground within a few inches of each other no matter what direction I sweep the coil I can pick up the Quarter, In the relic mode with the disc set to 2.4 really works well, I will sort out a Video but I had a mega emergency today because someone broke in to my Lookup and I had over $100,000 worth of gear in their, Damn it.

Steve, The Deus is the only machine that offers you some form of challenge and all the rest are old hat to you, So they just don't inspire you, after using many Whites and many minelab General purpose machine I am starting to feel the same way, None of them offer that wow factor because we have seen it all and they all have come to a stand still,

I am thinking about that Hot F-75 the latest one, I want something that puts the fun back in to detecting, Due to I'll health I have been house bound for a while, but I am now getting a little better So I need to get back out there,

I am sorry if I was a bit abrupt but it has been a Bugga of a day and one I would rather forget and my patients was a bit lacking with those Guys and their Rookie mistakes. maybe I could have worded things a little better,

John

Wow, sorry to hear about the break in John. I hope it gets sorted out in your favor.

I hate to tell you this but that is an official genuine White's video. If you have been watching lately they have gone for a much more casual style. Jacob is a software engineer at White's

• Like 1