Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector

I do love my notch discrimination.  But it was fun to grab the Compadre and just do some simple coin and jewelry hunting without thumbing the disc knob.  But there's a limit to how long I can hunt this way.  Usually about 2 hours.  But it certainly opens your eyes.....

I agree about the Accessories, I am one of those people that when I buy something that really has my eye I will buy 95% of the extras on the day I pick it up or order it, If I don't use them all it doesn't matter I got them if I want to use them, When you consider that all the extras can add up to 200% of the cost of the machine even more in some cases ALL the companies need to take note of this because they could boost their sales by the same 200% annually, heck this is detecting we know it's a money pit and our wives let us know with just a look each time we walk through the door with some thing new, lol

This past year we have seen owners of a certain expensive machine have to suffer through lack of coil options, not that is a problem at home because I bet their Mrs enjoys the fact that their old man now looks like Arnie, ( iLL Be Back ) 

A lot of folks should just call the factory and hassle them.

I saw the facebook photos on feb 16th for the 950 and 6X10 search coils. So they have the search coils.

Squeeky wheel is always the thing that moves things along

Well seriously, the factory should have part numbers and pricing on the website by now. Consumers should not have to be squeaky wheels. Trying to extract timely information from White's website is such a waste of time most people look to forums like this for information. Again, not a White's problem, an industry problem.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well seriously, the factory should have part numbers and pricing on the website by now. Consumers should not have to be squeaky wheels. Trying to extract timely information from White's website is such a waste of time most people look to forums like this for information. Again, not a White's problem, an industry problem.

Being a Whites dealer I have found out about new products not from the factory but from forums. I really can't think of one time Whites gave me a heads up on new product. Has this happened to any other dealer or is it just me? I remember a call to see if I had the new TRX in stock?  I told the guy I didn't know what he was talking about?   Kind of made me look like more of an idiot I already am. 

• Like 1

No, not just you.

I was a dealer for Compass, Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro, and White's. For decades. Except for tiny bursts overall dealer out reach and training is near non-existent. Part of the problem is people working at the factories know little about metal detecting. Their expert dealers know far more than the factory people. However, expert dealers are a rare minority. Many dealers are pretty uninformed about the product they sell. There are few if any requirements for being a dealer for anyone and there is little help available for dealers that want to do better unless they practically beg for it.

It really is not just White's. All you get as a dealer from most manufacturers is a new price list once a year, and maybe a notice now and then about something new. Or not. Very haphazard, very amateur as an industry.

At the same time I was a dealer for Evinrude, Ski-Doo, Honda, etc. some heavy hitting big boys. Much bigger companies of course, but the differences were stark, and detector companies by and large should be embarrassed by their overall lack of professionalism as regards their dealer networks and how they handle them. Maybe they can't be as big as a Honda but they could sure better strive to emulate to style and processes of companies like that.

Anyway, my experience as a dealer was that I almost always knew more than any factory people about not only about metal detecting itself but what was going on in the industry, what their competiton was up to, you name it. In general as an expert dealer I thought manufacturers were somewhat of an obstacle to be overcome on the road to marketing and selling the very products they make. I have not seen a lot since that would make me change that view.

• Like 1

I spent a good part of an afternoon on the phone with the Whites factory. I was searching for data on the MXS and the first thing I realized, was that the personnel were very courteous  and friendly but not schooled at all on products. I got shifted to other numbers and I have yet to find out any answers. The most pressing data I was searching for was the weight of the stock coil and the weight of the accessory coils. I was finally told that they would just have to weigh them and phone me back to let me know. Well it has been two weeks and I am still waiting. I explained that many new users do in fact consider weight as a factor and that I felt the factory should offer their product with options as far as coils at time of purchase, instead of having to try to deal again with a system that is less than perfect. As it stands now this new product is in the high 700 dollar range and after you buy a optional coil you now are now kicking the hell out of 900 dollars. With the reported issues so far, I would begin to think that this product may have some volume sales problems or they had better think about a very big price reduction.  

I have a stock mxs coil and 950 sport coil.

10 inch stock mxs coil with cover - 18.6 oz

950 Sport coil w/o cover                14,6 oz

Compare to a 11 inch stock etrac coil with cover - 17 oz

All coils weighed without cables

Total weight of mxs with stock coil and batteries is 4lbs 6oz

Total weight of etrac with stock coil and std battery 4lbs 2,5oz

Total weight of etrac with stock coil and RNB battery 4lbs