Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector

steve, do you give up something because in the chart of features it says ground balance fixed. does that mean you can't adjust ground balance?

The MX Sport has automatic ground tracking, just like the MXT Pro. At any time you can lock or "fix" the last tracked setting in place, again, like the MXT Pro. And it has ground grab, like the MXT Pro and most other new prospecting VLF detectors these days. Compared to the MXT Pro you are giving nothing up.

If you mean by the lack of manual ground balance are you giving something up? I guess that depends on how much you use manual ground balancing. I used to swear that I had to have it on any machine I use, but the fact is in reality now I do not use it much if at all these days. It really just depends on the efficiency of the ground grab feature. Some machines grab neutral and I like a slight positive bias so having the ability to knock it up a few notches manually is nice.

• Like 1

thats what I meant. it looks like this machine would do it all, am I reading it right?

funny it's not on their website.

Guest Paul (Ca)

Really like what I'm reading on the new MX Sport, Always wanted a waterproof MXT with prospecting mode with a 10" center mount coil.

The only problem I see and hopefully Whites addressed the issue with the MX Sport, With the Whites SST the two lowest tones (iron & foil) were too close. Believe the SST had around 8 tones,
Using for relic or gold jewelry had to constantly monitor the screen.

Even if Whites didn't address this issue with the MX Sport, based from what I'm reading from the manual the MX Sport ID tones can be changed, So if this is a problem with the iron and foil tone too close the foil tone can be changed to the next tone putting more audio ID distance between iron and foil. Hopefully Whites addressed this tone issue, and if not at least the user can modify the tones putting distance between iron and it's lowest conductive tone.

Have a good feeling the MX Sport will be a solid performer, Just hope it's priced right under a grand would be nice.

Paul

The tones can be changed from single tone to dual tones, four tones, eight tones, or 20 tone mode Paul, but I think the tones are set at the factory. Not to say they may not have made changes there but until we hear one or see a frequency spec posted we will not know.

I think the possibility of success here will be all about the price. You know it will cost more than the MXT Pro which goes for an Internet price of $823. Unless a person really NEEDS a waterproof MXT I can't see people being willing to pay a huge premium for what at the end of the day is an MXT. Somebody started kicking $1349 around and that just seems too high to me. Out the door for $999, I would be ok with that. Out the door for $1199? Not so much.

No idea on release date as this all got out before White's planned on it. Nice thing about FCC certification for us is early peeks at stuff under development. You would think manufacturers would plan around that, or maybe they do and early speculation / buzz is part of the plan - free advertising! I am not sure these guys are that web savvy however.

From the User's Manual:

MX Sport Tone Identification or Tone ID
The pitch or audio frequency produced by each target’s display identification range can be highlighted with differently pitched sounds, called Tone Identification or Tone ID. A specific audio pitch reference for each range provides quick audio ID based on the pitch of the beep it produces during searching- without looking at the display. When Tone Identification is in single tone, all accepted metal types produce the same audio pitch during searching. If the Discrimination is set to reject a specific target range, that range may not produce a beep of any pitch. Rejected targets often do not produce any tone (silence).

To Adjust Tone Identification:
1.Press Options and use up & down arrows to select Tone ID.
2.Press + & - to select the type of Tone Identification desired.
3.Press Options to exit or wait 10–15 seconds for the options mode to automatically time out.

Tone ID Settings:
1-Tone:
All targets produce the same pitch beep (no tone ID).

2-Tone ID:
Iron targets produce a low-pitched beep; all other targets produce a higher pitched beep.

4-Tone ID:
•Iron (lowest)
•Foil & Pull Tabs
•Nickels
•Coins (highest pitch)

8-Tone ID:
•Large Iron (lowest)
•Small Iron
•Foil/ Small Gold
•Nickels
•Pulltab
•Screwcap
•Zinc/Indian Head Penny
•Dime – Dollar (highest pitch)

20-Tone ID:
Each of the 20 Display ID segments (discrimination zones) produce their own uniquely-pitched beep, starting with iron (the lowest pitch) to Silver Dollars (highest pitched).

• Like 1

Once again Steve you have out done yourself by finding and passing on more information than anyone else has been able to find about the MX Sport.  For the type of detecting I do and the places I go, this is a no brainer.  My MXT is smooth as silk at the salt beach, but would not dare take it past chin deep water.   This detector looks like it will take a dunk in the ocean and be fine to pack on my trips out west as well.   Have a couple of White's machines that may soon sold off the save up cash for this machine when it is available.  Wish White's would let me take one for a test drive on the east coast beaches and report back how it works for me.  In the mean time, I'll just keep plugging along with the finny.  Great information, thanks again Steve.

Matt Bullock

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

A real big question for me is if White's or a third party will make a coil plug adapter so existing coil collections can be used with the MX Sport. I have a V3i and so I already have a 6" x 4" Shooter coil, 10" x 6" DD coil, plus a couple others. Being able to use them with the MX Sport above water would make a big difference to a lot of people with money invested in coil collections. In my case I would be tempted to sell my F75 and replace it with the MX Sport so it and the V3i could share coils.