Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/20/2016 at 7:17 PM, Ridge Runner said:

Steve

Thanks for the show and tell. Interesting.

Chuck

I have to admit these are much more in line with the kinds of videos I like and expect to see from White's. Comparative videos nearly always come off bad if you make or sell one of the items being compared and not the other. I learned early on as a salesperson to always talk about how my product was good and never talk the competition down. People pick up on that and are turned off by it. And most detector people are kind of nerdish so like the factual info stuff. Cutsie banana videos - not so much.

The second video going through lots of settings and options is particularly informative and helpful. Another one just like it on advanced settings would be good to take in what was left out in the first one.

And kudos always to any manufacturer who emphasizes proper hole filling technique! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Me and Bill_S have done a few comparative vids.  We always get the "Did you try?" or "You don't know the secret" or "You don't know how to set it up" replies.  Sometimes you just have to face the fact that a $160 Compadre will whip a $2400 detector in some areas.  It doesn't mean the $2400 machine is junk...  It just goes to show that there is no perfect machine.

OK, now we are talking. I was afraid we were going to lose the audio nuance and end up with pure gated digital tones. Not the case however - sounds like the MXT Relic mode "goose honking" I am so used to, and the ferrous if anything sounds more modulated than on the MXT, more of a VCO effect going on. Thanks for posting khouse, that one is short but told me a lot.

I am sure it gets great depth just like dozens of other VLF detectors on the market. If depth is paramount I won't be using a VLF so what I am more interested in is the effectiveness of the discrimination system. How well will the MX Sport do in a park infested with modern trash at seeing between that trash to make good finds? How well will it do around an old burned down 110 year old home site? How well in a fresh water lake full of old rusted stuff? How well will it do in Europe pulling tiny cut coins out of 2000+ years of ferrous stuff?

If dealing with trash was not an issue I would have stopped owning VLF detectors many years ago. There are far better options if all that matters is depth.

There are things the AT Pro can be picked on for but one of them is not its ability to pull non-ferrous targets out of difficult situations at a bargain price. Given that the MX Sport costs more than an AT Pro I would assume White's has done their homework in that department. Because eventually enough people will use both for a consensus to develop regarding the relative performance of the two and White's can afford to do no less than match, and better yet, exceed, the AT Pro in capability. Anything less and all the bells and whistles in the world won't matter.