Whites MX Sport Waterproof Metal Detector

Both have "S" stems with batteries under the arm. Time and time again detectorists complain about "S" stems, yet manufacturers keep throwing them at us. I always get hand cramps using them, even on the super light Deus. IMOP Whites have one of the best shafts on the market, they have used them on all their top end detectors since the Eagle spectrum right through to the V3i, why would they want to introduce a "S" on this unit. Even Minelab has ditched the "S" stems on all their new machines including the Go Find, why would Whites want to take a step backwards when they all ready have a tried and tested ergonomic design. All ready this new stem is putting me off buying one any I even was thinking how would one put the MX onto a proper Whites shaft.

Ever try to use a pistol grip style handle in the water?  Too Much torque on the wrist because the force of the water resistance is felt in the hand, not the forearm.  S grips are much better.

With the center mounted coil and the battery pack located under the armrest where the pivot point point of the swing is located his thing should be a sweet handler in the water.

Everyone sees everything from their own perspective. Having sold detectors for 40 years I promise you that not everyone complains about S grip designs and in fact many people prefer them. No matter which you build people want the other one. In my opinion the problem is not the S it is that most S rods are cheaply built and have little or nothing in the way of a decent grip. They are usually just a tube with foam around it. If a manufacturer does an S rod right they can work well.

I tend to lean pistol grip myself for this very reason but have no problem with a properly designed S grip. My Gold Bug 2 always suited my hand well. The White's grip you mention like on my V3i my hand does not like as much but the GMT S rod designs feel fine to me. My all time favorite is the F75 pistol grip on an S rod. Its tapered design works much better for me than the oversize oval post on the V3i.

The DEUS is the best example of an "S" rod pistol grip design people really like. More the difference between "S" grip and "Z" grip and to me the DEUS is more a pistol grip on an S rod. The MX Sport looks similar.

I think it is more a small hand/big hand thing actually and no one grip suits all people. So let's run a poll and find out what forum members think!

That is a nice display.  Its the little bit of color added to it that makes it nice.  It stand apart from the standard greyscale used by everyone else.  Has that modern i-pod look to it.

It doesn't have anything I need that I don't already have so I'm not looking to buy and try one anytime soon.   But I do like the package.

HH
Mike