Great day but windy, 20 with gusts to 30. I could hardly hear my headphones sometimes and the wind kept blowing my spade around.

Went to the site of an old farmhouse in my permission, at first I just scouted about but then switched to grid search using my flag sticks. It's not a huge area but will take a few days to search completely.

Gotta say I was surprised to find any military objects at all. If you read my other posts your know this area never really saw war except for 1812, and that was only a very short skirmish that occurred nearly in my backyard.

But find militaria I did! The site is as trashy as the other one I went to yesterday but just in the small area where the house stood.

Found a decorated cutlery handle, looks like it might be a small teaspoon. There are marks and decorations, but nothing legible. The oval plate has a coin like border around it but also has nothing stamped or engraved other than the border. Next is some sort of part maybe to a machine or gun. The broken circular object seems to be tin.

Large buckle is probably silverplated, it may be military. Two knurled knobs I found far apart that may be for holding a military device but I haven't found it yet! Some weird geegaw and a 1918 wheat penny. It was the last thing I found, It dates the finds somewhat.

Saved the best for last, a colonial era button, and two military buttons. The left one I cannot identify but the right one is possibly 1864 to 1866 Marines. I did reverse image search on Goog. Anyone with an id for the other?

Last is a shotgun shell , the UMC Union star primer is 1901-1912.

20210304_145809.jpg

20210304_201448.jpg

• Like 6

Thats a good day out, congrats. You keep mentioning trashy areas and I first suggested the 6" coil but coiltek now makes coils for the Nox, you might want to check out one of the elipticals. I find you can get better ground coverage and still have the narrow footprint to sneak around trash to isolate targets in most cases. For myself I don't have the patients to swing a hockey puck around, think my attention span runs short.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kac said:

Thats a good day out, congrats. You keep mentioning trashy areas and I first suggested the 6" coil but coiltek now makes coils for the Nox, you might want to check out one of the elipticals. I find you can get better ground coverage and still have the narrow footprint to sneak around trash to isolate targets in most cases. For myself I don't have the patients to swing a hockey puck around, think my attention span runs short.

Yes. I'm probably going to go with the Coiltek soon!

The ground in this spot is crazy, you go from literally nothing to having the Equinox sound off like an old Star Wars video game. Nails and spikes everywhere. It's not as bad as the other, but between that, the wind, and a Blackhawk helo training session I got pretty tired.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Coiltek has a 5x10. Bet that would compliment what you have already. Should have similar depth as the 6" but better coverage. Also coil like that might work good for small jewelry. You may find the narrow coil will perform in bad ground really well, elipticals usually do.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Gotta say I was surprised to find any military objects at all. If you read my other posts your know this area never really saw war except for 1812, and that was only a very short skirmish that occurred nearly in my backyard.

I've found four Civil War relics in my parks (all from different parks!) yet there were no battles in Indiana (ignoring anything involving Morgan's Raiders -- and although I'm within easy driving distance of those they didn't happen in my town).  There are other possibilities:

1) training camps and/or maneuvers,

2) participation in parades on holidays of later years to commemorate soldiers' service,

3) items brought back from war which eventually got dropped/lost.  Sometimes these items even had utilitarian value.  They weren't rare or even collectible then so they weren't necessarily treasured items at the time they were dropped/lost/discarded.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

1) training camps and/or maneuvers,

2) participation in parades on holidays of later years to commemorate soldiers' service,

3) items brought back from war which eventually got dropped/lost.  

I'm thinking the resident was in the service, and I found the items about where the clothesline was or the "burn barrel" 😀 maybe a shed.

Wish I could get a fix on the left button, image search didn't find anything. 😵

The Marine uniform button is kinda rare, wish it was in better shape. Most of the backmark is gone, but It is a Scovill button from Waterbury CT. The other had no discernible backmark, waiting on some Andres' pencils to mess with it. It appears to have been plated silver.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

This reads like how the UK posts (who have 2000 yrs. more history than us) sounds.   Where any/all fields have eventual finds.   Great play-by-play.

Thanks! Yeah sorry I was brought up on "The King's English". 😀 

I'm very lucky to have moved here, I'm smack in the middle of a rural area that is largely un-hunted. I know all the landowners and they have been very gracious. One spot I thought would be a treasure trove, however, turned out to have been heavily hunted by a notorious local. Luckily the rest of the farm was planted, so it couldn't be hunted when the person was there. Yesterday I got another permission to hunt around a late 17s to mid 1800s farmhouse. Last occupancy was in the 60s. Got two more old house sites plus that one now. It's alllll the way down the road, about a mile. 😀 Illegal to drive my golf cart there.

I've been using Google Historic maps to find where the houses were and setting plots in Tect-O-Trak, then grid searching and recording finds and coverage. These finds represent an 8-hour day, it's not like I'm not working for it😉

• Like 1