Minelab Rechargeable Batteries?

Can anyone shed some light on the batteries that minelab detectors use?

1. Longevity

2. Cost to replace

3. Estimate if those particular batteries may go obsolete (as opposed to AA batteries)

I think I phrased this incorrectly. 

AA batteries are a standard form and format and they've been around for a very long time.  All of the detectors that i currently own use them and I'm not concerned that the AA design format is going to disappear (or be discontinued) anytime soon.

So looking at the Minelab, and in particular the GPX 6000, I see what looks like a "proprietary type" battery pack.  So my concern is from an long-term perspective and applies to all of their models that do not use AA batteries. 

Will a battery from a 3020 fit on a 4500, or will a battery from a 5000 fit on a 7000?  If the answer is no, then this suggests to me that designs are different between Minelab's non-AA battery models and the GPX 6000 likely fits in this class. 

So from a long-term perspective is it a possibility that Minelab may decide to discontinue production of particular battery packs?

Or can folks gut them and rebuild them themselves.  Just wondering.

41 minutes ago, BMaxx said:

I think I phrased this incorrectly. 

AA batteries are a standard form and format and they've been around for a very long time.  All of the detectors that i currently own use them and I'm not concerned that the AA design format is going to disappear (or be discontinued) anytime soon.

So looking at the Minelab, and in particular the GPX 6000, I see what looks like a "proprietary type" battery pack.  So my concern is from an long-term perspective and applies to all of their models that do not use AA batteries. 

Will a battery from a 3020 fit on a 4500, or will a battery from a 5000 fit on a 7000?  If the answer is no, then this suggests to me that designs are different between Minelab's non-AA battery models and the GPX 6000 likely fits in this class. 

So from a long-term perspective is it a possibility that Minelab may decide to discontinue production of particular battery packs?

Or can folks gut them and rebuild them themselves.  Just wondering.

People rebuild GP batteries and modify older SDC-2300 batteries themselves, its very easy to do as Minelab used a common sized SLA battery for the GP’s and LiPO cells for the SDC. Lithium batteries that are sealed in a case can be rebuilt for computers and other devices also, it just depends on the voltage and amperage specs, size and availability of the cells that Minelab and other manufacturers used for them.