Can anyone shed some light on the batteries that minelab detectors use?

1. Longevity

2. Cost to replace

3. Estimate if those particular batteries may go obsolete (as opposed to AA batteries)

It would help to know which model you are talking about. Minelab uses a lot of different battery systems. 

I think I phrased this incorrectly. 

AA batteries are a standard form and format and they've been around for a very long time.  All of the detectors that i currently own use them and I'm not concerned that the AA design format is going to disappear (or be discontinued) anytime soon.

So looking at the Minelab, and in particular the GPX 6000, I see what looks like a "proprietary type" battery pack.  So my concern is from an long-term perspective and applies to all of their models that do not use AA batteries. 

Will a battery from a 3020 fit on a 4500, or will a battery from a 5000 fit on a 7000?  If the answer is no, then this suggests to me that designs are different between Minelab's non-AA battery models and the GPX 6000 likely fits in this class. 

So from a long-term perspective is it a possibility that Minelab may decide to discontinue production of particular battery packs?

Or can folks gut them and rebuild them themselves.  Just wondering.

41 minutes ago, BMaxx said:

I think I phrased this incorrectly. 

AA batteries are a standard form and format and they've been around for a very long time.  All of the detectors that i currently own use them and I'm not concerned that the AA design format is going to disappear (or be discontinued) anytime soon.

So looking at the Minelab, and in particular the GPX 6000, I see what looks like a "proprietary type" battery pack.  So my concern is from an long-term perspective and applies to all of their models that do not use AA batteries. 

Will a battery from a 3020 fit on a 4500, or will a battery from a 5000 fit on a 7000?  If the answer is no, then this suggests to me that designs are different between Minelab's non-AA battery models and the GPX 6000 likely fits in this class. 

So from a long-term perspective is it a possibility that Minelab may decide to discontinue production of particular battery packs?

Or can folks gut them and rebuild them themselves.  Just wondering.

People rebuild GP batteries and modify older SDC-2300 batteries themselves, its very easy to do as Minelab used a common sized SLA battery for the GP’s and LiPO cells for the SDC. Lithium batteries that are sealed in a case can be rebuilt for computers and other devices also, it just depends on the voltage and amperage specs, size and availability of the cells that Minelab and other manufacturers used for them. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Bill (S. CA)
      I've picked up a 1970's-era Garrett BFO in decent shape but it is missing the battery tray.  Kellyco and Garrett no longer carry them, though Garrett says that they have other trays that should work.  I'd really prefer to get the one that matches the detector.  Anyone got one laying around that they would part with?  I've attached pictures of the detector and what I thinkis the correct battery tray.
      Thanks.
      Bill

• By ☠ Cipher
      A week or so ago I had ordered a 3D printed battery pack for whites machines, obviously including my V3i. It uses 3 of the large lithium rechargeable 18650 batteries. I received it already even though it was shipped from Ukraine. It has a rugged, premium feel to it. This is my first 3D printed anything, and the quality surprised me. Definitely not a flimsy piece of kit. It fits in my V3i perfectly. Right now I’m using 2,500 to 3,000. I’ll let you know how these hold up and how higher MAH versions hold up once they arrive. I’m pretty excited about these in comparison to competing packs that top out at 3100 mah. It’s an inconvenience to not be able to charge the pack itself without removing the batteries, but an open holder also has its advantages. I may even attempt to make a charging cradle. The pack seems to only be available on eBay, with one remaining at this moment. I’m sure he will fire up the printer for another batch soon though. He likes to sell one batch before making more. 

• By GB_Amateur
      Saw this on Ebay.  I had wondered if these expired battery packs could be converted.  There is also a NiMH version (orange label).  I don't know if that can be converted or not, but this person figured out how to do so with the NiCad version.

• By JRJR
      I am attempting to purchase a White's battery holder, P/N 802-7150. Canadian Treasure Seekers has one in stock, but due to supplier contracts can not ship to US.
      I hope to find a fellow hunter from Canada that is willing to purchase and send this battery tray to me. I will, of course, reimburse any cost for item and associated shipping costs.

Please email me at joerahuba@yahoo.com
    • By Tony
      I opened up my TDIBH the other day for some fiddling around and checking out a few things. I powered up the detector with all of the guts and board opened up and had it hooked up to the 14.8v (4 x 18650 cells) battery pack. I had it going for just a few minutes when I gripped the circuit board as part of my “fiddling” around......well I dropped the board and swore a bit in response the burn I was expecting on my fingers. Well it turns out that on the opposite side of the board behind where the big capacitors sit is some sort of heat sink and I can tell you the heat from this spot was something else. The detector has and runs just perfect but the hotspot really surprised me. 
      I decided to hook up the 12v battery pack and let it run for a decent amount of time and it never got past a mild warm on the back of the board. That extra couple of volts is generating some serious extra heat.....bit like on the heat sink area of the CPU chip in your computer.
      I honestly don’t know if the detector can handle this extra heat long term but I’m not taking any chances. I’ve moved back to the 3 x 18650 battery pack which I knocked up when I first got the detector. There is a slight loss in depth but surprisingly not too much. I feel the performance of the 11.1v Lithium setup is maybe 1 to 2 inches behind the 14.8v “hot pack”.
      You can see in the photos the big caps on the detector and where the heat comes from. The other photo is my 11.1v pack which packs some punch and lasts much longer then the stock NiMH pack.

• By timmyster
      I seem to have lost my charging cable for my ML 80 Headphones for my Equinox 800. Do I just need a type C cable for that? I have searched high and low for the minelab cable OEM but impossible to find. Any after market ideas? Thanks so much!