Can anyone shed some light on the batteries that minelab detectors use?

1. Longevity

2. Cost to replace

3. Estimate if those particular batteries may go obsolete (as opposed to AA batteries)

I think I phrased this incorrectly. 

AA batteries are a standard form and format and they've been around for a very long time.  All of the detectors that i currently own use them and I'm not concerned that the AA design format is going to disappear (or be discontinued) anytime soon.

So looking at the Minelab, and in particular the GPX 6000, I see what looks like a "proprietary type" battery pack.  So my concern is from an long-term perspective and applies to all of their models that do not use AA batteries. 

Will a battery from a 3020 fit on a 4500, or will a battery from a 5000 fit on a 7000?  If the answer is no, then this suggests to me that designs are different between Minelab's non-AA battery models and the GPX 6000 likely fits in this class. 

So from a long-term perspective is it a possibility that Minelab may decide to discontinue production of particular battery packs?

Or can folks gut them and rebuild them themselves.  Just wondering.

41 minutes ago, BMaxx said:

I think I phrased this incorrectly. 

AA batteries are a standard form and format and they've been around for a very long time.  All of the detectors that i currently own use them and I'm not concerned that the AA design format is going to disappear (or be discontinued) anytime soon.

So looking at the Minelab, and in particular the GPX 6000, I see what looks like a "proprietary type" battery pack.  So my concern is from an long-term perspective and applies to all of their models that do not use AA batteries. 

Will a battery from a 3020 fit on a 4500, or will a battery from a 5000 fit on a 7000?  If the answer is no, then this suggests to me that designs are different between Minelab's non-AA battery models and the GPX 6000 likely fits in this class. 

So from a long-term perspective is it a possibility that Minelab may decide to discontinue production of particular battery packs?

Or can folks gut them and rebuild them themselves.  Just wondering.

People rebuild GP batteries and modify older SDC-2300 batteries themselves, its very easy to do as Minelab used a common sized SLA battery for the GP’s and LiPO cells for the SDC. Lithium batteries that are sealed in a case can be rebuilt for computers and other devices also, it just depends on the voltage and amperage specs, size and availability of the cells that Minelab and other manufacturers used for them. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Tnsharpshooter
      https://parts.minelab.com/category-s/270.ht
      Might be good idea to add this info to Equinox Essential Information thread.
    • By Tnsharpshooter
      My battery in my Nox  is fine.  I pursued ordering a battery.  Just for a spare and to seek out the process so I could share with folks.
      First I called number 1-877-767-6522 (Minelab customer service) and talked to lady named Julie.  Julie referred to the following number in PA - 814-283-4270 (Minelab repair center).  I called this number and spoke with gent named Dan Diehl.  He stated I was actually the first to buy Nox battery. He while I had him on phone had just realized the batteries were at their facility for sale.  Price is $30 USD.  He said total price including shipping was $39 for a nonsignature required usps delivery.  I used a credit card.  And that’s it.  So the number above for Dan is the number to call to buy battery for Equinox.
      As a side note I inquired about their repair backlog.  He said they were in good shape.  With only about a week of backlog repairs on hand.  I asked this due to possible lasting effects of Covid 19, plus I wanted to be able to share with folks accurate info.  In case some were not sending in their units for repairs fearing long wait times.
      Cheers
      David

• By Ridge Runner
      I have three detectors that have a internal battery and one I’ve got two coils that’s like the detectors they too need to be charged. Let’s not forget they come with wireless headphones.
       Then I have three other detectors that I can use recharge batteries if I so wish . None of the three have wireless headphones. To me the great thing about them is when sitting idle I can just remove the batteries.
       I’ve never had any trouble with the ones that have a battery in them but every so often I’ve got to make my rounds charging each up.
       It’s been said the next Nokta/Makro will have a removable battery.
       I’d like to hear your view point of what you like best in what ever it may be .
       Chuck 
    • By Dancer
      Tarsacci battery fits in snugly and is waterproof.

• By strick
      Thought I'd share this cool little inverter I just got. Some of you may already have it but I thought it would be good for those that have not seen this yet. It's really small and hopefully will work for field applications. I already charged my CTX battery and module with it with. IIf you have lots of Milwaukee tools like I do already it's a no brainer to get one of these as I have about five different batteries that I could bring along on a extended trip. I dont know how well it's going to work so I'll have to up date later on. If you have one already then let us know.