Recommendations For My Next Detector

Hello Everyone

I am new to the Forum and fairly new to detecting. I currently have a GB2 and have for the most part only been nugget shooting in BC. I found that the GB2 did okay but had issues in moderate and high mineralized areas and lost depth rapidly. I am looking to get my next detector for the tool chest and would like something that will give me better depth and performance nugget shooting but it would also be nice if it had some capability on coins, jewelry and relics as most of the people that I know that detect aren't nugget shooting.

With the vast amount of expierience on this Forum what are your reccomendations?

Thanks in advance.

No one detector will do it all well. I believe you'll wind up with a dedicated gold machine and a dedicated coin- relic machine. A forum member here had a well equipped ML GP Extreme listed on the forum classifieds. they are an excellent gold detector, some folks claim they are still one of the best, and his price sounds very good if your budget is tight. 

Thanks for the reply Klunker

I know that no one detector will cover it all but some I assume are more versatile than others and I am forced to try to keep it to one new detector this year with the economy being what it is. The GP Extreme and the 5000 both have sales pending unfortunately.

well based on what others have said on this topic before, the whites mxt does it all.

When I first got started detecting I was looking for an all around unit and had no idea that the road would lead me to nugget shooting. I got a Garrett GTI 2500 and it works great for coin/relic/jewelry hunting at parks and beaches. The place it doesn't work all that well is in the AZ desert looking for nuggets. I got a Minelab SDC2300 and starting finding gold within the first few trips. My only complaint with the SDC is that coil is small and not changeable but it is truly a turn on and go without a steep learning curve. I would not get an SDC for use as an all around detector though due to price tag and inability to change coils. Another machine that I was able to test drive was the Minelab X-Terra 705 and based on that very limited test drive I would research that one for use as an all around unit.

Like Fred said above though, read Steve's guide and look over the many great posts on this forum. I'm always learning new things here.

• 2 weeks later...

If it was just nugget detecting I would go from the Gold Bug 2 straight to the Minelab SDC 2300 as you have really tough mineralization and generally smallish gold. That is where the SDC shines and it packs a lot more punch than a Gold Bug 2. Once you throw versatility into the mix though you pretty much are talking mid-frequency VLF detectors, and as others have noted my guide is a good place to start. That said, the MXT has a great history and because of that, the new White's MX Sport might be just the ticket for you. Guess we will have to wait and see but knowing White's it is well built, and waterproof is a nice thing in your part of the world.

Probably for the nugget hunting an alternative is the GPXs with the new coils such as Phase Techs video explores, I can certainly vouch for the Coiltek Elite on the GPX5000. Serious completion for the Z on those small solids, certainly if you can adapt wireless along with the smaller battery mounted on the GPXs side. Gives you the choice of coil size and configuration. Wireless also is great step, in detecting.

However the GPXs are not for coin detecting wheras your GB2 can cover that albeit without the ID of modern coin machines such as the Deus etc.