Rusty Seated Dime

That dime was all encased in iron. Great save. Nice decorated one piece button too.

• Like 2

Hi Scar.  Good job on the dime.  It’s awesome rust and all.  

Great finds, just put the dime in a ultrasonic cleaner and watch the rust disappear.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scarfoot said:

Thanks, Would have been, too bad it's in such poor condition others from the same site have been in much better shape

It is beautiful just as it is Scar.  Any seated is a good seated.  🙂  Great finds.  I love that button too... with the shank!  ~Tim.

13 hours ago, Scarfoot said:

too bad it's in such poor condition

Looks like to reverse was hit with a tool edge.  Is it bent?  Condition is otherwise nice.  And it sounds like you've found others nearby in better shape -- good site!

That button looks unusual.  Can you discern the manufacturer?  We mostly see military buttons of that style but of course the manufacturers (such as Scovill and Waterbury -- I think those are different companies) made buttons for civilian use.  I doubt there are as many collectors of the latter, though.

Nice finds!

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Looks like to reverse was hit with a tool edge.  Is it bent?  Condition is otherwise nice.  And it sounds like you've found others nearby in better shape -- good site!

That button looks unusual.  Can you discern the manufacturer?  We mostly see military buttons of that style but of course the manufacturers (such as Scovill and Waterbury -- I think those are different companies) made buttons for civilian use.  I doubt there are as many collectors of the latter, though.

Nice finds!

Yes the coin was bent nearly in half by a plow (I straighted it out) Good observation on the button. I've found 14 or so decorative or flower buttons of similar style on this site. The site was an early Confederate militia camp. They often used what are reffered to by collectors as floral buttons. You may be familiar with such.

Thanks for looking! I will check the back mark.

• Like 1