Rusty Seated Dime

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Looks like to reverse was hit with a tool edge.  Is it bent?  Condition is otherwise nice.  And it sounds like you've found others nearby in better shape -- good site!

That button looks unusual.  Can you discern the manufacturer?  We mostly see military buttons of that style but of course the manufacturers (such as Scovill and Waterbury -- I think those are different companies) made buttons for civilian use.  I doubt there are as many collectors of the latter, though.

Nice finds!

Perhaps you will recognize the back mark, button hasn't been cleaned and the backmark as is doesn't stand out to me as familiar with what I can see.

Screenshot_20210306-144151.png

Great job on the seated and the button!!! I have found a bunch of buttons that I just can't make out myself. It kinda makes you crazy to try and decipher whats left on the button. Nice finds all the way around. 

Tried to figure out that back mark but just couldn't match it up. Try and gently rub your finger over the dirt on the covered letters. Don't push deep, just gently sweep side to side until the letter show up. Overdoing it makes it harder to see the letters. Contrast is your best friend.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Scarfoot said:

Perhaps you will recognize the back mark...

No, but I don't know too much about buttons.  I did find a Waterbury catalog from turn of the century online (pdf format) but this doesn't look like one of theirs.  Other military relic detectorists here might be able to identify your button.  I know a lot more about (USA) coins and dinnerware since I've collected both of those for a long time.  Buttons, just tried to ID the ones that have showed up while detecting (and I don't detect in battle sites so only have a few of those old ones).

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

No, but I don't know too much about buttons.  I did find a Waterbury catalog from turn of the century online (pdf format) but this doesn't look like one of theirs.  Other military relic detectorists here might be able to identify your button.  I know a lot more about (USA) coins and dinnerware since I've collected both of those for a long time.  Buttons, just tried to ID the ones that have showed up while detecting (and I don't detect in battle sites so only have a few of those old ones).

Thanks for interest, the relics from this site are mostly still in dirty condition in riker cases. At some point I will get to cleaning and detailed identification of each piece.

On 3/5/2021 at 8:00 PM, Valens Legacy said:

Great finds, just put the dime in a ultrasonic cleaner and watch the rust disappear.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Is this a safe way to clean silver dimes and other old coins? I have an ultrasonic cleaner for nuggets but am scared to use it on a couple old dimes and nickel I have. 

12 hours ago, ChuckScrivener said:

Is this a safe way to clean silver dimes

I have no problems with silver or gold items, yesterday I used it on some coins I found and they look great now.

Don't rub them down with anything that can scratch them when you pull them out and coat them with a good wax for coins.

I won't use it on anything copper.

• Like 1