Second day in this site. It never got over 42 today, the wind was around 20-30 mph all day. I went out dressed like I was yesterday and had to go back for a heavy hoodie and heated socks. Got Reynauds in my hands and feet, unbelievable pain if they get too cold.

The reason I went right back is because the first coin I found is either an early American penny or a King George, or not... 🤔 It's 1 1/8 inches in diameter and weighs 9.7 grams. No really identifiable lettering, just the bust facing right. Big coin. The only way to "read" it is the good old flashlight trick.

Left to right: small crude button signaled a whopping 22. Might be silver. I didn't know it was a button until I cleaned it a bit. Small Great Seal button, backmark "New York Button", might be WW1. Second Marine button, this one in much better shape. 1860s. 1800s button marked Treble Gilt. Two wheat pennies, a 1919 and a 1937. Heart shaped locket, brass that may have been gold plated. I'm afraid to try and open it! Two aluminum geegaws marked HOLLY US PAT'S. At first I thought they were pull tabs. 😀 Next is a heavy silverplated handle, possibly razor or magnifying glass.

Honestly the bust on the coin looks like Lincoln, but they never made a penny or half penny that big with him on it! 🙂 

20210305_195946.jpg

20210305_192128.jpg

20210305_192226.jpg

• Like 7

For those of you who have read me whining about trash here, this is a good bit of what I hear on every swing. There are thousands of these "Iron Babies" (think "Sugar Babies") at this site. Any of you old enough to remember that candy 😀

20210305_171320.jpg

• Like 3

You can whine all you want.  It does suck when you get a good tone and it’s a square nail.    Neat finds.    

• Like 2

Looks like a kg. You seem to be weeding out the trash nicely when you inviting the rest of us down?

Might be this one: 1770 KING GEORGE III COPPER HALFPENNY - Top Grade Coin ...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kac said:

Looks like a kg. You seem to be weeding out the trash nicely when you inviting the rest of us down?

Might be this one: 1770 KING GEORGE III COPPER HALFPENNY - Top Grade Coin ...

Thanks! Wish it was in better shape, but I'll take what I can get. They're probably going to start the fields next week, planting corn this year. 😵 Big warm-up coming.

• Like 1

I think kac is correct, it's a George III half penny. The newer dates have the style of bust you have. Here's a 1799 that has the high bust.  Unfortunately the date is one the reverse side.

1799 George III half penny.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chest line matches better on the one SchoolofhardNox has. You going to try to clean it up?

• Like 1

I appreciate both of your replies! 

Might as well try to clean it up. Got some Andres' pencils coming, should be delivered today. Any other suggestions? Been using only hand soap and a very light brush to clean stuff so far, and some Wright's cream on the silver.

When you think about it (taking a break in the field right now), anytime you find a coin that has a hole in it doesn't speak well of the practice of putting them on a thread, ribbon or chain. But that's what they did!

Of course keeping them in your pocket doesn't either 🤔

• Like 1

Incredible how well your doing, funny that most people take years to find what your picking in just a matter of days. You got a good knack for this.

• Thanks 1