Has Anyone Used The Fisher F5?

Way back when I was shopping for a machine I had looked at the F5 and ultimately went with my AT Pro. Was always curious how the machine performed depth wise and overall as a coin and relic machine. I do prefer pots over buttons for the finer adjustment and that 7.8khz seems like a good frequency for bad ground.

Poking around I saw that one the dealers has it on sale at $299 and they Nel makes a Superfly for it.

https://www.metaldetector.com/fisher-f5-metal-detector

Dealers still selling them at the $500 mark and Fisher still has it listed. That one dealer has it at a really good price. Thought it would make a great starter machine for anyone wanted to get into coin and relics.

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I have used.  My bud has one.  He does pretty good with his.  Good higher conductor detector for the $$$.

Nice and ergonimic too.

Fisher hasn't updated their website in ages either, might explain that. Curious why that machine didn't do well market wise when it has the base key features to be a good relic machine.

I've had an F5 off and on for a few years in addition to the Deus and Nox 800 (and others). The F5 is a great Coin and jewelry detector for hunting parks and school grounds. It not the deepest detector but has some nice features like ground grab and manual G/B, Threshold, Notch, Multi tones, etc. Just a fun detector to use. I think all the Knobs may have scared off a lot of buyers and more experienced users felt like the F5 was a beginners unit (wrong). 

• Like 3

I think your right on that Tom. Seems Fisher put a pretty small coil on it too which I am certain doesn't help on depth. I did see a 12" superfly coil available for it and with that unit selling at 299 think it would make a nice relic machine with descent depth. I would snag it but I have too many vlf's now. My next machine will probably be a land based pi with ground balance.

I, myself wouldn't add a larger coil to the F5 as I already have a Nox 800 and the Deus for deeper hunting and/or relic hunting. I do however have a CORS Shrew 3.5 x 6" DD that I once used on a EuroTek Pro. The F5 with that tiny coil gets the job done when hunting around picnic tables where there's lots on aluminum trash (tabs) and bottle caps.  

• Like 3

Good point. The stock concentric should help around beer caps and flat iron. Probably why it does well with the stock in parks.

• Like 1