New Site Scouting, Relics And Coin

Finished up the farmhouse site today, made a few more passes and found nothing. I went to a new site that I previously plotted using old maps where a building was up to the 60s, and first known in 1917 on a USGS map. Hacked around a bit and found the objects in the photo. I'm not sure if I should grid this spot, I didn't hear a lot of iron. Great way to kill an afternoon. At least this field was out of the annoying March wind.

The disc is lead, could be a bale seal, or possibly a weight or game piece. 1 1/4 inches in diameter. It was weird to find a sinker in a farm field about a mile from the river, but there it was.

Some kind of point, it is brass or bronze. It is fashioned to be aerodynamic at any rate, but could be a finial. Large heavy buckle, most likely work animal tack.

I think the wheat penny is a 1909, but not an S or VDB, it is so corroded it doesn't matter. 😀

Best find of the day, the brass plate. It's 2 1/2" by 2, has a naked woman on each side, and a man and an animal in the center embraced by the arms of the face on top. Better detail in the bottom photo. Image search returned nothing, but I may have this very object in one of my artifact books. Don't know whether it was a buckle, mounted on furniture (it has a flange on the back but no holes or guides), or some sort of breastplate.

Not much time left before spring planting.

20210307_194346.jpg

20210307_190607.jpg

• Like 6

The brass plate is really cool.  I also like the homemade fishing weight.  You have the drive to find this stuff.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, kac said:

Common fishing weight. There any ponds or lakes nearby?

Yeah the river is about 1/2 - 1 mile from this spot. Just weird to find it in the middle of a farm.

I've found fishing hooks in the middle of the desert!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

All my childhood neighbors would find lead weights in their yards if they detected..... casting practice.. haha.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

All my childhood neighbors would find lead weights in their yards if they detected..... casting practice.. haha.  

Certainly done somea that. Used to fish the Potomac a lot, now I just surf cast at the beach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Certainly done somea that. Used to fish the Potomac a lot, now I just surf cast at the beach.

Had to give up fishing except for special occasions... it was cutting into my detecting time.  haha.   But when I lived in the Pacific NW, I wouldn't miss razor clam season on the Oregon Coast... Limit out... then go detecting.  Big pot of razor clam chowder for dinner 🙂

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Had to give up fishing except for special occasions... it was cutting into my detecting time.  haha.   But when I lived in the Pacific NW, I wouldn't miss razor clam season on the Oregon Coast... Limit out... then go detecting.  Big pot of razor clam chowder for dinner 🙂

I had a 30' motor yacht, caught huge Striped Bass, Spanish Mackerel, Atlantic Bass, Spot, Flounder and the occasional ray. Used to Kayak fish on the other river. Got a tributary right out back. My first boat was a 25 foot ProLine my wife and I restored from the ground up. Love clam chowder, but only know the East Coast kind.

The Potomac is kinda unforgiving, and the Chesapeake Bay is downright nasty. Boats are expensive and tedious to maintain. I might get a small boat in the future for river hunting. I see what you mean about cutting into metal detecting! 😀

• Like 2