Hello From The Rocky Mountains In Colorado!

MinCO

I've been lurking for some time in the forums and decided it was time to introduce myself!

I got my start Metal Detecting when I was about 12 years old.  My dad purchased a White's Eagle II back in 1990.  It was bought from a dealer down the street that head a home full of coins, rings, jewelry, and so many other finds.  My dad didn't use it that much, but I immediately took over the metal detector and set out on adventures in rural Ohio.  

By the time I was 16, I was swinging the Eagle II all over southwestern Ohio.  My dad's best friend's parents owned a home in a rural area that was build up in the mid 1800's.  I couldn't believe my luck, I found a 1796 Liberty Cap half cent on the property along with more silver and interesting items.

As I've grown older, I've tried to stay with metal detecting when I have the time to go out and spend some serious time researching.  Unfortunately, I've only gone out a few times last year.  The weather right now in the mountains is not fun for doing much detecting anywhere.  

I'm a huge White's fan and own the following:

Eagle II
Spectra VX3
Spectra V3i
MX Sport
GMT
Goldmaster 24k

I'm painfully aware the White's closed shop and sold their IP to Garrett.  I'm still bummed about it and have so many great memories with White's in general.  I've had such a great experience with them that I've been hesitant to try out other brands.  I've swung a Minelab Equniox 800 and I've been impressed, but I feel so terrible cheating on my White's equipment!  I may never get over White's going out-of-business.  I've spent nearly 30 years with their products and am just devastated.

I'd love to find some fellow hobbyists in Colorado to maybe do a few trips together or share tips and tricks.  It is so exciting discovering the undiscovered.  Anyone interested in Gold detecting in Colorado, please let me know.  I've taken the GMT up to Gilpin County and have had limited success on finding gold.  I'd like the take the GMT and 24k out and work both of them to see how they differ.

Thanks,

Michael  

• Like 5

I almost forgot, I want to give Steve a shoutout.  His knowledge and expertise is just extraordinary!  He breadth and depth of knowledge over this entire hobby is just mind-blowing.  Over the past few years, his reviews have influenced me on purchases and I've learned so much from him that I can put into practice on a regular basis.  

He is truly a fount of knowledge.  

• Thanks 1

Welcome Michael,  Looking forward to hearing about your finds when the snow melts 🙂 

+1 on your comment about Steve!

~Tim

Welcome out from the shadows Michael !

It sounds like you have a nice bit of experience on those Whites.

Now that you can , post up some pics of your fave finds and ask/answer anything you have the time for.

I'm a little far off  but sure know about detecting in frozen country , you can't do it !

Well , I do go check the piles of snow in parking lots as they melt .....? 

Welcome!

Looks like the Whites machines are still repairable so your not stuck so keep on swinging them.

3 hours ago, kac said:

Welcome!

Looks like the Whites machines are still repairable so your not stuck so keep on swinging them.

I have little fear regarding White’s reliability.  They have always been rock solid for me.  

Other than the battery on the Eagle II having to be replaced every 5 years or so, it is still working just like it did 30 years ago.  It does look like it has been searching for land mines and found a few!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and I hope you post some stories with pictures of your finds.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Glad to have you here. Even though Whites took the dirt nap, does not mean you still can't find great stuff with your still working detectors. I own a few Tesoros and its still a great day out with them. I'll be sad when they won't work anymore, But until then I'll just keep diggin. Looking forward to your posts and finds. Have a great day!!!

Hello Michael,

I'll jump onto your welcome bandwagon! Glad your officially here! I missed out on most of the Whites, when I stopped detecting for 30+ years! But i did buy a new MXT All Pro last year for fun and profit! 

Glad to have you here with us!👍👍