Hello From The Rocky Mountains In Colorado!

MinCO

On 3/9/2021 at 12:52 AM, MinCO said:

I'm a huge White's fan and own the following:

Eagle II
Spectra VX3
Spectra V3i
MX Sport
GMT
Goldmaster 24k

Obviously.  :biggrin:  Welcome, Michael!  I'm curious to read your reasons for owning both VX3 and V3i, and if you saw advantages to one over the other.  Was is just sequential (started with one, then switched to the other) or did you have both in your arsenal simultaneously and switch off as the situation indicated?

Colorado is a great place for natural gold and ghost towns, as you know.  The trick of course (as it is anywhere) is to find spots where you are actually allowed (either because it's open/public territory or you have permission).  In which part of Colorado do you live (sounds like in the mountains)?

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Obviously.  :biggrin:  Welcome, Michael!  I'm curious to read your reasons for owning both VX3 and V3i, and if you saw advantages to one over the other.  Was is just sequential (started with one, then switched to the other) or did you have both in your arsenal simultaneously and switch off as the situation indicated?

Colorado is a great place for natural gold and ghost towns, as you know.  The trick of course (as it is anywhere) is to find spots where you are actually allowed (either because it's open/public territory or you have permission).  In which part of Colorado do you live (sounds like in the mountains)?

I actually bought the VX3 in 2014 when money was pretty tight.  I was lucky enough to find it slightly used directly through Amazon Warehouse, so I ordered it.  I've suffered from "Fear-of-Missing-Out" with the V3i for a few years and always felt like I nearly had the best, but just missed it!  So I ended up purchasing the V3i a few years later to scratch that nagging itch.

I always use the VX3 as a "training" detector when I take friends or family out with me.  It is easy enough to setup for a new user and have them take off having some fun.  It is a great first time detector and everyone else uses it a lot more often than I do.

I do struggle with finding places for coin shooting/jewelry.  I don't struggle as much for gold.  I have some friends that have property in Gilpin County.  I also live in Clear Creek and there is quite a bit of placer and smaller nuggets around where I live.  I'm fortunate to also know a few people who have claims around Colorado.  I'm thinking about buying a claim or two just to have somewhere to go without worrying.  I have access to about a hundred acres out in eastern Colorado that has some homestead locations that are long gone.  I've never gone out there because I am not dealing with rattlesnakes in the grass.  I will probably never go out there, even though I am really intrigued.  I absolutely, positively, do not do snakes.

Someone said I should take some pictures of my finds.  You are talking to someone who lived in Germany for an entire year and figured I better take some pictures the day before I left so I had something to show people.  I'm terrible about taking pictures generally speaking.  I'll try to get better and take some pictures as I find neat things of interest.

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MinCO said:

I've never gone out there because I am not dealing with rattlesnakes in the grass.  I will probably never go out there, even though I am really intrigued.  I absolutely, positively, do not do snakes.

Isn't there a time of year when the snakes are in hibernation/dormancy but conditions are still compatible with detecting?

Thanks for the explanation of why you have both VX3 and V3i.  I never knew the VX3 was an easy detector for an inexperienced person to use.

I would be more concerned about the two legged versions of "snakes in the grass" when detecting!

All you need is some snake gatiers for the reptile variety! And they are always predictable in their response!👍👍