Please Help- Got Poison Oak

A few said use Dawn dish soap. I have heard this remedy as well. I have heard that it should be used without water until throughly cleaned. Luckily for me I have been able to avoid the stuff..... I didn't see it answered, did you find any gold among the poison oak?

It is a histamine reaction in your skin, so over the counter antihistamine in medications help. Cortisone anti itch creams help. Things like Tecnu or dawn only help if you use them right away aft exposure. The oil in the plant actually bonds to the proteins in your skin and cannot be washed off after that.

• Like 2

A few said use Dawn dish soap. I have heard this remedy as well. I have heard that it should be used without water until throughly cleaned. Luckily for me I have been able to avoid the stuff..... I didn't see it answered, did you find any gold among the poison oak?

I did find some small pieces one of which is a little quartz specie. But I did find the source of the gold I had been getting. It was up the draw a bit farther than I had been previously.

Thank you guys for the advice and expertise.

post-1-0-88764000-1453657076.jpg

post-1-0-98229100-1453657077.jpg

post-1-0-50835700-1453657078_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You must have seen these:

http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/poison-ivy-home-remedies/

Also saw these:

Comment from: adam,Published: April 12

Tooth paste. Apply 1 hour before bed let dry then cover. Shower to remove toothpaste in morning. My poison sumac was gone in 2 days.

Comment from: Liane, 55-64 Female (Patient)Published: September 05

I have poison ivy in my garden at the cabin. I've had good luck with scrubbing my arms and any other areas I might have exposed with dish soap and cold water - as cold as you can stand. I got this advice from my plumber! It seems to work.

I used some GooGone when I had it years ago.

years ago I did some wild land firefighting and like what was said before washing with soap and water asap has always worked for me, I usually start with cool water and soap first and toss your clothes in the washer. Calamine lotion will help relieve the itch and will also help the rash to dry up if you get a poison oak rash, I have been lucky and not had it since I was a kid but I'm careful.

I had a friend of mine visiting from China and we took her on a hike at some Japanese gardens in the Santa Cruz mountains. She had never been around poison oak and despite the warnings managed to get her neck and upper chest exposed by brushing up against or touching some by accident. anyway I didn't know she had touched it until about 3 or 4 days later when I noticed she was repeatedly applying some kind of Chinese skin oil on this really red rash on her neck and I asked her how long this had been going on... 2+2= my friend and wife all now know what poison oak rash looks like, I got her some calamine and the rash cleared up in a couple of days, but felt better once the calamine was applied.

The doctor says that if you don't do anything it will go away in 2 weeks.

That's probably true in most cases, but I had a case where it got worse and worse for 4 weeks and I finally went to the doctor and got a prescription steroid cream and it still took about another 4 weeks to clear up. A portion of my arm was covered in blisters by the time I went to the doctor. This was the worst patch, but I had smaller patches all over my arms and legs.

post-5-0-15221800-1452408255_thumb.jpg

Thats pretty nasty Chris, my mother was using a chainsaw on oregon coast clearing and burning brush and never realized it was full of poison oak she was inhaling, she ended up going to the hospital,and now she is more sensitive yet to it. Can be real serious to some people.

I have to admit that when I have had it for long periods of time, it was likely from not cleaning my gear. If your coil, pick, debris pouch, boots, etc. were exposed to the oils they likely still have it on them...be sure that you clean those or you may keep repeating your exposure without actually going back to the plant.

• Like 1